My chameleon opens his mouth while he is basking!

BirdieF18

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Nosy Ankarea, Male, 4 and a half months old and has been in my care for 2-3 months
Handling - He is handled very two or three days.
Feeding - Silent brown crickets, Hoppers, Cockroaches and a waxworm twice a week. He gets crickets and hoppers every day he has about five crickets and a locust or two but other days he will have more hoppers than crickets. The hoppers and crickets are gut loaded with greens and i use eco terra bug grub and bug gel, Cockroaches with oranges and strawberries waxworms i didn't think you did
Supplements - Calcium without D3 every feed zoo med repti calcium without D3, Calcium with D3 1 time per week Zoo med Repti calcium with D3, Reptivite multivitamin without D3 2 times per month.
Watering - I use a dripper and a pump up mister dripper is on all day i mist four to five times a day from a minute to two minutes. Usually i see him drink from time to time but i have been away recently and someone has been looking after him.
Fecal Description - Black not runny or hard urates are white. He has not been tested for parasites but i am getting him checked next week.
History - N/A

Cage Info:
Cage Type - My cage is made of mesh and is 2ft by 2ft by 4ft
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I am using an eco terra 100w Daylight basking spot for heat and for UV i am using arcadia T5 D3+ 10% lights are on for 12 hours 8AM to 8PM
Temperature - Basking spot- 81.5 to 82.2, Cage floor- 68-69
Lowest overnight- Not sure will check tonight
Temps are measured with an electric thermometer
Humidity - 80-85%, I mist to maintain these levels, I use a simple exo terra analogue hygrometer.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I use Devils Ivy and a Umbrella plant
Placement - It is in my room nowhere near any fans or air vents and i live in the middle of nowhere hence no traffic his cage is ruffly 3.5ft off the floor
Location - Scotland

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I just saw him basking with his mouth open he does it nowhere else only when he is basking he has done it twice now and then i think he has stopped. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it but he started doing this when i started feeding him roaches today. He seemed to like them as he took three. He has never done this before and has no known health problems so should i take him to the vet for a checkup. I will try and get some pictures of him.

The info all looks ok, chams will often gape a bit when they are too hot. Are you sure of the temps? If it is just a little bit and the temps are correct then nothing to worry about. It will be nothing to do with the roaches.
I think your gutloading could be better, but no need for a vet checkup just for this.

Back
Top Bottom