My chameleon has died.

SamG6

I posted some pictures up the other week and was talking about my chameleon and some of you said it could be metabolic bone disease. I took him to the vet and they told me what to do so i was squirting calcium and vitamins in his mouth to try and boost him abit because he wasnt eating. Then i took him vet yesterday for an X-ray and they said its not good, he had three broken legs, and the vet said it wasnt worth paying soo much money to try and help him, so he was put to sleep. I couldnt believe it, he was only a baby. they are really hard animals to look after!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost one a couple of months ago - and yes, they are challenging pets to look after! But totally worth it if you invest the time to learn the info needed to keep them healthy. I have a second cham and for what it's worth, things are much easier this time around. I was clueless when I got my first cham (a Jackson's) - and her health was already compromised before I took her home. I'm in love with my current cham - a veiled female. She is still a huge commitment, but I wouldn't change things if I could! Best wishes in whatever avenue you decide to take after your loss.

I posted some pictures up the other week and was talking about my chameleon and some of you said it could be metabolic bone disease. I took him to the vet and they told me what to do so i was squirting calcium and vitamins in his mouth to try and boost him abit because he wasnt eating. Then i took him vet yesterday for an X-ray and they said its not good, he had three broken legs, and the vet said it wasnt worth paying soo much money to try and help him, so he was put to sleep. I couldnt believe it, he was only a baby. they are really hard animals to look after!

Sorry for your loss - I took on a cham much in the same state as yours, but as an adult - over £600/$900 later, x-rays yesterday showed that he still has a hell of a long way to go...you did the kindest thing

so sorry to hear, loosng any pet is very sad, im glad to hear that you did what you could and took your cham to the vet and all. cham do require some extra effort but they are well worth it.

take care hoj & Camo

Thanks everyone, I would like to get another cham but I dont want to lose one again, im at college and work most of the time so cant look after it all the time, Im thinking of getting a chinese water dragon does anyone know if they are as hard to look after?

Sam
I would suggest that one lizard requires much the same investment of time as another one.
A snake will require less fuss, but understand that any reptile has certain requirements and just having the money to buy one, is not enough.
Please decide on pet you would like to keep, after, having first researched for yourself, its needs.

Sam
I would suggest that one lizard requires much the same investment of time as another one.
A snake will require less fuss, but understand that any reptile has certain requirements and just having the money to buy one, is not enough.
Please decide on pet you would like to keep, after, having first researched for yourself, its needs.

I agree. I'm sorry for your loss btw.:(

Im not entirely clear as to what happened to this Chameleon. What caused the death and what can I do with mine to avoid it?

(sorry for the loss)

I'm sorry for your loss! I'm going through something similar & still not sure if my cham will pull though. I was wondering how old was your cham??? I was told the same about my cham w/ MBD (or on the verge of getting MBD.. at least I'm hoping he doesn't already have it) & he's was only 7 months when the vet diagnosed. His Calcium to phosphorous ratio was 1:1. After 3 week of antibiotic shots (he just finished) for an eye thing & oral liquid calcium .1mg he's still not turned around. I'm scared he may not. It so weird that they can have this happen so young! They are so fragile. So sorry you lost your baby :(

Back
Top Bottom