My cameleon had surgery today

pmart

My cameleon had surgery today. I was wondering if any one had this experience and how long it took him to wake up from anesthesia. Also, how you kept him warm and about how warm cause i was told by the vet they need to be kept warmer then normal while there healing.

Keep him at the higher end of the normal range for the species, not too hot or he will overheat, and don't keep him at the higher temperature constantly, give him occasional moments of cooling. The reason to keep them warmer is that their body functions better and quicker at higher temperatures and the drugs are metabolized more quickly at higher temperatures, allowing the anesthetic drugs to leave his system sooner than if he was cold. Also, if he is on pain meds or antibiotics, they are utilized more efficiently if the body is kept at warmer temperatures, otherwise at cooler temperatures, they don't travel to the places they need to go. I hope that made sense how I explained it, if not, ask for clarification.

My cameleon had surgery today. I was wondering if any one had this experience and how long it took him to wake up from anesthesia. Also, how you kept him warm and about how warm cause i was told by the vet they need to be kept warmer then normal while there healing.

Did she get a boob job?...ha!

that makes perfect sense he just tried to walk around a little bit but is still out of it and laying on the water bottle, but it cools off and i have to go to bed at sometime; i have a heating pad and a thermostat, if i put a towel on the bottom of the tank, can i use that and if so what temp.

My cham. had bilat. eye surgery last month, they removed calcified deposits from his turets. He woke up fine very quicklly, I just kept him calm for the first couple of days and he did fine. Good luck.

Depends on what kind of chameleon he is. What is he? I apologize if you already said and I missed it. I usually dampen a towel and put it into the microwave so it is lukewarm that they can lay on

that makes perfect sense he just tried to walk around a little bit but is still out of it and laying on the water bottle, but it cools off and i have to go to bed at sometime; i have a heating pad and a thermostat, if i put a towel on the bottom of the tank, can i use that and if so what temp.

Heating pads are a problem if you're not going to be awake. Unless you make absolutely sure that the chameleon cannot get in contact with the heating pad, I would be worried. The kind that stay on regardless can cause burns. Newer pads actually require a periodic "stay on" command or they turn off, which would mean your chameleon would loose heat.

Can you set your alarm and get up every 2 hours to re-warm the water bottle?

He's a panther and I can do that, but he's in like a turkey tray on top of the water bottle with stuff on the sides so he can't fall thats all covered with a towel and under the cage i have the heating pad which is conected to a seperate thermostat that has a temp. control which is keeping the bottle warmer longer i have it set on 83.

Maybe add another LOW WATT basking bulb.. that way the top end of yer cage will rise a FEW degrees and yer cham can choose. a small rise in temp can do wonders.

I'm not really sure why the vet told you that. The reason mammals are to be kept warmer after surgery is because the anesthetics that are used can induce hypothermia in endotherms. Reptiles are ectotherms so their temperature cannot be regulated from within, and therefore anesthetic agents cannot act upon them in ways such as causing hypothermia. All I would do is keep your set-up like it is with a normal basking bulb, no hotter than what his normal range should be, with an area of ambient temperature of what it normally is and should be. Your chameleon does not need to be kept warmer that what your basking spot is set at because that would indicate that his body has cooled itself down, which it hasn't, because it can't. And humans have an increased body temperature when they are sick because of the amount of antibodies and other pathogen-killing entities that are circulating through the body doing their job (to state it simply). Just make sure that there is nothing in the cage that the suture site can get caught on and re-injured

Good news, I took him to the vet today to baby sit while i was at work and while we were on the way he woke up and started moving around. He fell asleep in the car on the way home and i don't want to wake him up so i still have him at the bottom of the cage. I woke up every three hours last night and warmed up his water bag, but i can't do it two nights in a row i need to get some sleep. So i'm doing the heating pad thing tonight and i'm absolutely positive he can't get to the pad and just lay on it causing a burn. The vet also gave him his first dose of meds, i'm a little worried about doing it tomorrow though cause i don't have any one to help and i have to hold him down open his mouth and squirt the meds in. Wish me luck.

The vet also gave him his first dose of meds, i'm a little worried about doing it tomorrow though cause i don't have any one to help and i have to hold him down open his mouth and squirt the meds in. Wish me luck.

Could you inject the meds into a roach (or several crickets)? And coax the cham to eat the bug, rather than squirting meds into his mouth? Id be concerned about getting med liquids in the airway.

Hope he gets well soon

First of all don't squirt the meds in...ease them in.
An easy way IMHO to get the meds into him would be to drip water on the end of his nose and when he starts drinking it, ease the meds into his mouth.

Back
Top Bottom