My ambilobe looks weak!

do i dank

okay i come home from school and i see Rambo looking very weak! he was in his basking spot wearing his somewhat dark colours but mostly brown. from his mid-body down he seemed very limp!! a also noticed his vent seemed a little swollen? and he also looks a little ashy/pale from about mid body to his tale. SOME PLEASE HELP!!
7 month male ambilobe chameleon, ive had him for a week
i handled him 3 times
Feeding - im feeding him about 10 crickets a day gut loaded with celery and carots
Supplements - i give him calcium with D3 every day and multi vitamin once a week
Watering - he has a dipper, and i mist him about 5 times a day for 30 seconds
Fecal Description - brown/black with a white piece at the end. never tested for parasites
History - i bought him form a breeder who got his chams from chroma chameleons

Cage Info:

Cage Type - 18,18,36 screen cage
Lighting - 5.0 uvb for reptiles, 100watt basking bulb
Temperature - bottom of the cage is about 20-22, basking temp is about 32-34, humdity is about 60%

Plants -i got 2 fake plants and a pothos and umbrella plant
Placement - his cage is about 3ft from the ground, he is in a some what of a high traffic area, but i don't think it bothers him.
Location - Mississauga, Ontario

Wow that sounds weird.

The only thing I see off is the vitamin D3 every day. This is way too much, unless the amount of D3 in the calcium is really low. Most of us use D3 only twice a month, using plain calcium instead for other feedings. But I don't think this will make a difference in only a week.

Did he look good yesterday?
Could he have sustained a fall and broken or injured his back, I wonder? If you think this sounds like a real possibility I would find a reptile vet immediately. I would find one anyway, regardless of a spinal injury, if the animal looks that weak from one day to the next. Obviously something is up that may not be related to how he's being kept.

First problem...D3 needs to be used VERY sparingly. I use calcium with d3 only twice a month. The rest of their d3 intake needs to be absorbed through reptisun 5.0 uvb bulbs, or direct sunlight. Too much orally injested d3 can lead to some serious problems. If I were you, I would stop using that calcium right away, and go purchase a calcium with no d3, and no phospherus. Good luck.

he looked a little brown yesterday too, i think he fell. ill go buy some regular calcium asap. i feed him some more crickets and misted him and hes back up on his feet. he had his foot in a weird position, ill try to put up some pics.

<script src='http://img594.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=cagef.jpg&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript> </noscript>
Heres his cage

Everything looks pretty normal to me except the tail color, that definitely looks paler. If he's walking around I don't think it's an injury to his back then, which leaves me at a loss. I don't know what else to suggest!

I have seen my chameleons tail and legs and feet look whitish like that and then he sheds and yes they have been like that for days before he starts peeling. hopefully that is just what it is.

you can do what you want, but the majority of us on here use calcium WITHOUT d3 everyday and the one with the d3 a few times a month or so.

Why do you say this after he tells you the brand he's using?

Exoterra with d3 5x a week is less then Repcal 2 times a month (or pretty close).

Why do you say this after he tells you the brand he's using?

Exoterra with d3 5x a week is less then Repcal 2 times a month (or pretty close).

sorry didn't pay attention to the brand! My mistake! I know repcal has a heavy concentration of it. i use it.

i have good news, Rambo took a HUGE number 2 a few minutes ago and now his colours are back and hes climbing the top of the cage i think hes feeling a little "lighter" haha

Back
Top Bottom