Mouth slightly open

xoiceox

So today when Sobe was outside he stood at the top and opened his mouth for a few seconds and just breathed...

Tonight I went to look at him and he was under the basking light with his mouth open again. Not huge but a lil open.

Is this okay?

Yes, keep an eye on him, gaping is used as a method of cooling or thermoregulating. However, this may be a precursor to a URI...? I had a similar issue with my female Jackosonii which led to a fatal URI.. Keep an eye on it and keep us posted.

My guys will do this when I put them in the sun. They will find shade and if the ambient temp is high they will still do it. When I see them like this I hand mist the tree they are in to cool them down a bit. Sometimes they will do this in their cages as well. This is only when ambient temps are high. Last week we had some pretty high temps running here in socal. I had to run the A/C one or two days. The past couple of days have been overcast and cool. if anything I should have be running the heater lol. Either way. keep an eye on them. You sill see this kind of behavior when the temps are creeping up.

So I just saw him with his mouth open again under the basking spot. He's never done this in the 2 1/2 months that I've had him... Are u sure he's ok?

every once in a while i see my chamy "yawn" in her basking spot. only bout two seconds but it looks funny.

No this isnt a yawn. He sits there with his mouth open for minutes at a time... Guys plz gimme ur opinion!

If hes making noise (like crackling or popping) then its possible he has uri but if hes silent and only does it at his basking spot hes probably fine as hes just cooling himself off. Since hes bigger now he has alot more surface area to soak up heat which is probably why hes starting to do this at this age. If you ever hear him breathing or crackling or thick saliva/bubbles thats an immediate red flag and he needs to see a vet. The way your describing the gaping sounds normal to me. Dont get worried though. Constantly being worried takes all the fun out of keeping chams.

My Vieleds do it all the time.
They arent smart enough to move from the basking spot, so you need to change your bulb wattage.
Nobody asked you what your basking temps were.
Do you have a lazer temp gauge?
These are great for reading body/basking temps.
My female usually only does it when she is done eatting.
She will go up to the top of her cage and turn sideways into the light to digest her food.
Usually 20 minutes of sitting under here bulb she will start to gape.
I think you might be overreacting a little, but I would make sure he isnt making any cracking or popping sounds while breathing.
Better safe then sorry, right?
Here is a picture of my IR temp gun:
003.jpg

He does it after I mist him and after he eats. Im just paranoid b/c I lost my girl so quickly ( 3 days she got sick and died) that if I lose him it will break my heart. I love him so much! hehe Thank you so much guys

Yeah I would lower the wattage first. Like Justin said also is they like to bask. My gracefuls are basking machines from what I read and what I can tell since I got them. One thing I do especially in the summer when my panthers are out most of the time is mist with cool water instead of warm. Just like the warm cooling down the cool warms up but is on the cooler side. My panthers love when they are out side and get misted by my hose which is cold if you full on spray but cool when you mist. This may help if temps are high.

Back
Top Bottom