Montane Pygmies / R. Accuminatus info

spadefish

I am interested in hearing about your experiences with this species. I recently got a female and she is one weird cham. She seems to like people, trots (yes, I said trots) all over her enclosure. She does chin ups onto leaves when she can climb up sticks to get there. She likes to sleep on the very tip of a particular plant leaf in the enclosure -- when the lights go off, she literally runs from where she happens to be over to the leaf, hauls herself up and goodnight. Compared to my brevs, she is an olympic sprinter. If any of you have kept this species, I'd like to hear your experiences. I am trying to find her a mate, and I wonder if hey are all like this or whether Maggie is just a little bit of a wingnut. :D

Photo

Here she is... drinking. She manages to drink the water droplets that collect on her head -- she tilts it to one side, opens her mouth a bit, and in runs the water.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
More pics...

Here are a few more pictures.

Attachments

• DSC_0042.jpg
    DSC_0042.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 209
She's looking great! I've only had limited experience with them but my pair were both pretty active and easy going. I'll email you if I come across a male.

Do a search..I forget who posted it or the title, but there is an old thread here that gives you about the best information you can find on this species. If you can't find it post to let me know. I have the post saved in my files, but as I don't remember the original author I'm hesitant to post it without giving proper credit. Just search....it's out there.

Here is one of my new ones. Sorry for just the one shot, but that's all I've got right now. They are generally hiding from me...:p This one looks pretty skinny in this shot, but the other two are very plump!

View attachment 16812

Last edited:
Do you house them all together? Or do you have a pairand keep this one separately? Lookng good! Mine puffs herself up and then when she realizes the food is coming, goes all kinds of nice shades of green. Wha are your daytime/nighttime temps? Mine never go above 80 under the lamp and are 73 at he bottom of the tank. She will cimb up to the top to bask in the morning and sit there for about 10 minutes, then she goes looking for breakfast. She tends not to look for food if she can't bask for a few minutes first.

Last edited:
Here she is... drinking. She manages to drink the water droplets that collect on her head -- she tilts it to one side, opens her mouth a bit, and in runs the water.

Very cute pygmy species. I have a male. He's really shy though but if I can manage to get a good photo, I'll post one.

I just found a little acuminatus hatchling in the incubator. Now I really owe you pictures. But this is going to require the macro lens! :D

Back
Top Bottom