Meeting with a VERY big whig... Question suggestions?

seanUTD

I will be meeting tomorrow with Professor Vickie Sutton who is the Paul Whitfield Horn Professor of Law and the Director of the Center for Biodefense, Law and Public Policy at Texas Tech Law School. She worked with the EPA under President Bush and she has a B.S. in Zoology and a B.S. in animal science from North Carolina State University; an MPA from Old Dominion University; a Ph.D. in Environmental Sciences from the University of Texas at Dallas; and a JD from American University

I will be asking some questions regarding protection of species deemed exotic pets and the protection the goverment can provide and I was looking for any members out there who would like to vicariously get any questions answered through me... She is an awesome resource for information regarding law in the government and the environmental protection the government can provide... I will post answers tomorrow!

Sean

I would discuss
(1)how we keep chameleons, and how she see the government helping protect our rights to have these wonderful animals.

(2) what type of effective punishments could be put in place for people who release non-native species in our country. Might mention the reptile community would also like the people who release animals stopped from doing it, and point out that a lot of them die.

(30 what involvement does the US have in education for the general public about reptiles, both harmful and not?

Great opportunity for you, hope it goes great. Lets us know.

I would be interested in what questions you plan on asking her.

Laurie's questions are excellent.

I would add questions regarding importation. Should there be "housing requirements" for animals in transit? Should species that are readily available as captive bred not be allowed to be imported except under special, breeder requirement, circumstances?

I think Laurie and Elizadolots questions are great. I really think the housing requirments for imports is a great question. Also the question about restrictions on already captive bred species unless for special breeding projects. Good luck and congrats on being able advocate for these WONDERFUL creatures. They truely deseve it!

Yeah just make sure you don't put any ideas in her head that could restrict our freedom to keep reptiles. Maybe you should call some of the guys from USARK first.

Well to update on my meeting today it was a total bust for what I thought it would be!:mad: I didn't get to ask any of the questions I wanted because they said it was more for just law school admissions, and law and litigation questions... Sorry guys I thought this would have been a much better opportunity than it was....

Well to update on my meeting today it was a total bust for what I thought it would be!:mad: I didn't get to ask any of the questions I wanted because they said it was more for just law school admissions, and law and litigation questions... Sorry guys I thought this would have been a much better opportunity than it was....

But you got closer than any of us and you tried - good job.

Yeah, you were there and ready. Heck, find an address and send her a letter (a lot of government people won't do e-mail because it is deemed unprotected communication) telling her how much you had wanted to talk to her and giving your questions.

You never know, she might respond.

Back
Top Bottom