Meat, Chicken and dried insects (Please help)

Squamata

Hello everyone

-

Can I give a veiled chameleon small pieces of meat or chicken ?

-

And can I use dried insects ?

And the last question is about zoo med "Can O' ..."

I found some in a pet store but the expiration date is in 2007 !!

Do these really expire ?

-

Please help and thank you very much :)

no, no and no. They eat LIVE insects. They are primarily insectivores and some of the veilds eat some plants, vegetables and fruit. they are not carnivores and really should not be fed meat due to the all the protein.

Hello everyone

-

Can I give a veiled chameleon small pieces of meat or chicken ?

-

And can I use dried insects ?

And the last question is about zoo med "Can O' ..."

I found some in a pet store but the expiration date is in 2007 !!

Do these really expire ?

-

Please help and thank you very much :)

It is not healthy to give meat ,chicken ,mouse ,rats,other lizards.They are very hard to be digested.This could lead to gout,kidney failure,digestive ulceration,anal prolapse-etc.
Chameleons are insectivores and you should just feed them well gutloaded live inscets.
About Cans- they are not good, not healthy and not well gutloaded before they cooked , froze it .
Anything organic has an expiration date.So yes canned bugs do expire.

Chameleons are primarily eaters of live insects. While they could eat the occassional lizard, bird etc in nature, those are unlikely to form a major part of their diet. Furthermore, those are alive and moving.

Dead things, canned things, are unlikely to be what your chameleon wants or needs.

My chameleon won't even eat worms (don't move enough to get his attention), so I have no idea how you would get it to eat dead things anyway.

Thank you all very much your answers are great

I have my own ways to make the chameleon think dead insects are live xP

But since they're not healthy I think I won't use them

--

Thanks again and if you can help with this question you're awesome xD

About calcium and vitamins powder, do they expire too ?

Well... I hope...

Do you know what supplementing schedule you should be on?

lol No!!

Why are you making it so difficult and complicated? :D

Because I guess chameleons' diet in wild is much simpler! isn't it!? :\

I'm currently in an area where wild veiled chameleons can be found, and I noticed that their natural habitat is simple and insects that live here are not only crickets or worms and, they mostly eat locusts, flies, butterflies, moths, mantises and some other insects.

So they eat almost everything :\

( beetles can be found in the same trees chameleons like to climb but I'm not sure if chameleons like to eat them )

And like anything in the wild, insects eat leaves,fruits.. and are not mixed with calcium powder

So why do captive chameleons need much more than wild ones? :confused:

--

Also I would like to know about supplementing schedules if they are that important

--

Thank you again

lol No!!

Why are you making it so difficult and complicated? :D

Because I guess chameleons' diet in wild is much simpler! isn't it!? :\

I'm currently in an area where wild veiled chameleons can be found, and I noticed that their natural habitat is simple and insects that live here are not only crickets or worms and, they mostly eat locusts, flies, butterflies, moths, mantises and some other insects.

So they eat almost everything :\

( beetles can be found in the same trees chameleons like to climb but I'm not sure if chameleons like to eat them )

And like anything in the wild, insects eat leaves,fruits.. and are not mixed with calcium powder

So why do captive chameleons need much more than wild ones? :confused:

--

Also I would like to know about supplementing schedules if they are that important

--

Thank you again

If you wanted an animal that wasn't complicated, you should have got a gecko or a bearded dragon.

First of all, the reason wild chameleons don't need supplements is because they have all the diversity of 'supplements' they need in the wild--that is why they live there. And we are not trying to make our chameleons live like wild ones... there is a huge difference. Chameleons only live 1-3 years typically in the wild, if they're lucky.

Your chameleon will die if it does not have any supplements. You need to dust the feeders with the following RIGHT BEFORE FEEDING...

-Calcium WITHOUT D3 every feeding
-Calcium with D3 twice a month
-Multivitamin twice a month

I recommend the Rep-Cal brand... also please do more research. And if you have wild chameleons around, you must live in Yemen or Arabia... do you?

hmm.. u can get your cham to ea dead animals.. u must be goodd... mine wouldnt even look at dead animals ... even insects. ... wonder how you did it .. theres this vibrating dish thingy .. which does seem to work to ...

Thank you very much sandrachameleon!

--

Now I know everything I need about feeding!

xD

Look through some of sandrachameleon's blogs. I'm sure she can link a few to u.. ull see how much there really is to insect feeding gutloading and overall nutrition ur cham should have. :)

If you wanted an animal that wasn't complicated, you should have got a gecko or a bearded dragon.

First of all, the reason wild chameleons don't need supplements is because they have all the diversity of 'supplements' they need in the wild--that is why they live there. And we are not trying to make our chameleons live like wild ones... there is a huge difference. Chameleons only live 1-3 years typically in the wild, if they're lucky.

Your chameleon will die if it does not have any supplements. You need to dust the feeders with the following RIGHT BEFORE FEEDING...

I recommend the Rep-Cal brand... also please do more research. And if you have wild chameleons around, you must live in Yemen or Arabia... do you?

To add to this gentleman.

supp. With plain calcium at every feedig counter balances the calcium to phosphorus ratio most staple feeders have we'll say crickets.. 2:1 phosphorus:calcium. Ur cham needs 1:2 phosphorus:calcium out of his staple diet for bone development.. without it MBD(metobolic bone desiese) tends to result.

To process all this calcium and use it they need the vitamen D3.. which is gathered from the suns rays... We don't have suns in our house so we use the uvb 5.0.. and D3 powder to recreate this... The sun can't be overdosed on but supp. Powder can be. So LIGHT DUSTINGS and outside time in the sun with shade.if u can.

The multivit helps recreate allll the different insects and creatures a cham consumes in the wild but more than that.. what that creature the cham feeds on has consumed prior.. so multivit and gutloadig our feeders with good fruits veggies and dry mixes (not most commercial mixs) helps us give them that. A healthy captive veiled should be 5-8 years... And that's a heck of an accomplishment.

This is mearly a broad overview and a general idea that helped me understand why it needs to be done so carfully.

Finding a balance is key.. and more is not better.

It's pretty clear now

Thanks alot!

And yes I'm in south Arabia

hmm.. u can get your cham to ea dead animals.. u must be goodd... mine wouldnt even look at dead animals ... even insects. ... wonder how you did it .. theres this vibrating dish thingy .. which does seem to work to ...

Thanks for you advice

You can do some tricks to move the dead insect without touching it and then the chameleon will think it's alive and eat it. I have done that before.

I wonder why it's not healthy!? it's the same insect but dead :confused:

To add to this gentleman.

supp. With plain calcium at every feedig counter balances the calcium to phosphorus ratio most staple feeders have we'll say crickets.. 2:1 phosphorus:calcium. Ur cham needs 1:2 phosphorus:calcium out of his staple diet for bone development.. without it MBD(metobolic bone desiese) tends to result.

To process all this calcium and use it they need the vitamen D3.. which is gathered from the suns rays... We don't have suns in our house so we use the uvb 5.0.. and D3 powder to recreate this... The sun can't be overdosed on but supp. Powder can be. So LIGHT DUSTINGS and outside time in the sun with shade.if u can.

The multivit helps recreate allll the different insects and creatures a cham consumes in the wild but more than that.. what that creature the cham feeds on has consumed prior.. so multivit and gutloadig our feeders with good fruits veggies and dry mixes (not most commercial mixs) helps us give them that. A healthy captive veiled should be 5-8 years... And that's a heck of an accomplishment.

This is mearly a broad overview and a general idea that helped me understand why it needs to be done so carfully.

Finding a balance is key.. and more is not better.

Thank you very much!! this post is really helpful!

firstly, dried insects contain no water. Well hydrated prey contribute to a well hydrated chameleon.

secondly, unless you are dehydrating these crickets for yourself, you can be sure the crickets were not well fed before being killed. A big part of the nutrition in a cricket is achieved by gutloading (which means you feed the cricket well and in the right was to benefit the chameleon).

2007 and still on the shelves? wow that's a bit much! Captive animals require specific care as they do not have all the options their wild counter parts have so to keep them, one has to be sensitive to their needs and willing to provide them with quality life in captivity so they are not suffering abuse for lack of better way to put it. Its really not that complicated once u have a system going that works well for u and ur lizard. So about the dead insect.. first what is it that killed the insect? if it was insect repellent...disease... well probably not a good idea to feed it to an animal.. if u killed it urself.. well.. the lizard would have been happier and more stimulated hunting it down and doing that him/herself. Honestly if u have access to wild animals and find captive care complicated.. just take a weekend field trip w a camera.. some water.. good walking shoes.. and well.. have ur chameleon fill for the week. Pictures after all do not need supplement, species specific lighting, high electric bills, dead or live bugs, misting systems, or caging for u to enjoy their mesmerizing beauty. Feel free to post some too.. that for me would be a treat to see..."aint nothing like the real thing..." (that last part is just lyrics to a song)
Anyway here's hopping ur enjoying ur captive yemen.. those are indeed spectacular creatures.

It's pretty clear now

Thanks alot!

And yes I'm in south Arabia

Thanks for you advice

You can do some tricks to move the dead insect without touching it and then the chameleon will think it's alive and eat it. I have done that before.

Thank you very much!! this post is really helpful!

I'm sorry if I came off rude. Good luck with your cham, I would love to visit wild veileds some day :)

Back
Top Bottom