Materials for building a chameleon cage

Donatello

Hi all. I want to build my own custom cage and was hoping you guys can tell me what materials I can use to do so...? Can I use wood? it would be nice if you guys can post pics of your custom cages. Thanks:)

I used wood. I would not use chemical treated woods. PVC Screen used for screen doors/porches, hinges, a latch, a waterproof base, a drainage system (base and drainage not pictured)..... thats what I used for:

IMG_0008.jpg

water based paint, not oil based, make sure its an inside/outside kind. ask the person in the paint department what they would recommend for an animal cage that would be non toxic. for the bottom on mine i used a fiberglass hard board. you see it alot in commercial bathrooms as the walls. then i used a tube of bath and shower caulk to seal all of the places the wood joined and where my "flooring" joined the wood frame. Aside from the standard screen door screen, i used the metal screen door screen for the top where the lights would be resting.

have fun with it!

IMG_3192.jpg

the white cage took me 3 weekends. the lower doors i broke down and just bought those from ikea in the AS-IS section. they have tons of odds and ends in there. they were 2 bucks a piece.:cool:

the whole thing is 5 feet tall, the inside of his cage is 3 tall and 2 wide/2 deep

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom