male veiled doesnt like the female?

ladizzlee

so as the title says, i bought a male veiled yesterday and a medium sized reptibreeze.
then today i got a female veiled. their the same size and they were both in the same cage in the petstore i got them in.

but right now im trying to put the female in the reptibreeze that the male veiled is in and when i try to put her in there he freaks out and he like poses and his tail uncurls and curls again and he lifts one of his front feet and he just stays still like if he's posing. should i still put her in there? is that normal? what does that mean?

How old is he? Usually when they are VERY young they are housed together but as they get older, they become territorial. Most species of Chameleons prefer to be housed individually and only meet up when it's mating time. Sorry to say but the best thing to do is to house them seperately. They will only stress one another out and put their health in jeopardy. :) Good luck!

You getting them out of the petstore is the best thing that could have happened to them. Often petstores do house the chameleons in one cage and it causes stress for all the chams. Stress is the single largest killer of chameleons, imo.
Each of your veiled need their own cage and it is much better if they can't even see one another. Any divider is great, a piece of cardboard, a towel, whatever. let them each have a couple of weeks of quiet away from everything, except you caring for their needs and they will settle in each to their own homes.

so as the title says, i bought a male veiled yesterday and a medium sized reptibreeze.
then today i got a female veiled. their the same size and they were both in the same cage in the petstore i got them in.

but right now im trying to put the female in the reptibreeze that the male veiled is in and when i try to put her in there he freaks out and he like poses and his tail uncurls and curls again and he lifts one of his front feet and he just stays still like if he's posing. should i still put her in there? is that normal? what does that mean?

Does he like Barbara Streisand? Pro prop. 8?...hmmm... :D

Raising one hand and coiling/uncoiling the tail are signs of aggression. I would recommend keeping them in separate cages if they are over 4 months old (and I'm assuming they are from the male's behavior).

Also...if the female is sexually mature, I would recommend that you put an appropriate container in the cage for her to dig in to show you when she needs to lay eggs.

i have no idea how old they are, the pet store never told me. i tried seeing if i put the female in there and took the male out if the same thing would happen and it did but the female was being waaaaay worse than the male.

What do you mean the female was worse? If she is sexually mature and was hissing, swaying back and forth, showing dark colors in the background, etc. then she is gravid...which should be no surprise since they were in the same cage at one point...and since the male was reacting the way he did.

she wasnt swaying back and forth just trying to bite him and she did hiss. he turned all black almost and like crouched when he saw her. she doesnt seem gravid though, shes pretty skinny (i think) but i know nothing about chameleons.

like when i would try to put the male in the cage, her reactions were worse than the males. they arent that big and they are pretty skinney so i dont think their sexually mature yet?

It helped to know that your boyfriend is jdmjames. :)

If the female has mustardy/yellowish splotches on her then she is sexually mature.

I guess the best approach to this at the moment is to realize that you need to keep them in separate cages because they are not reacting well to one another...before you end up with an injured or dead chameleon....and then go from there to determine if she is old enough to be gravid.

Can you post some pictures please?

she is all bright green.

i dont have pictures of her yet but i do have pictures of the male.
155687_173857355967970_100000311216273_435327_6344722_n.jpg

65735_173857065967999_100000311216273_435326_5825322_n.jpg

lol sorry if i caused any confusion, i cant take any pics cause i dnt have a camera but tmrw we will take some. the female isnt mature, she is completley green except for a smalllllll white stripe. how about the male? im guessing he isnt either since they seem the same age?

edit: sorry we both keep posting around the same timee -_- lol

Like recommended keep them in separate enclosures for their health.

When she is nice and ready and receptive to mate, I would honestly consider putting them in a spot where it is no ones territory. Like in the living room in a big ficus tree or something something away from their enclosures.

Just remember if you start to breed the female at a young age she is not going to live a long healthy life. I would personally wait till she was around a year old, especially since you are not going to make a profit from Veiled chameleon babies. And the bigger the clutches the more stress it puts on her body. Just food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom