lip question

AJA

Established Member
112909 Weigh In 002.jpg

When I was weighing Bert yesterday, I noticed this blemish on her lip. It looks like a stain so not sure if its bug juice or not. Any thoughts on this? Sorry for the crappy photo. There is another photo of her on this thread.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/monthly-weigh-33560/

Okey dokey, no one had a comment on this. Let's try another one.

I have now noticed Bert's tail is turning gray. Is this the skin fungus that MD talks about?

Bert Tail and CL postings 010.jpg

Bert Tail and CL postings 011.jpg

Bert Tail and CL postings 009.jpg

Not sure about the lip, but can you inspect the gum in the same area? Try rolling the lip gently down. If there's an infection starting you should see some swelling and redness on the inside. If not, try scrubbing the "stain" with a Q tip to see if it comes off.

The gray area does look similar to the "melleri fungus" and the dorsal scallops are a very common place for it to show up. I don't know what the Melleri Discovery has to say about this but check. Possibly at an early stage a vet could biopsy it and get some useful results. They may suggest scrubbing the area with a topical anti infective (possibly Betadine), check for tissue necrosis, coat it with Silvadene and watch it.

Update on Bert ....

I took Bert to the vet yesterday to take a look at her skin. I HAD a suspicion it just might be a shed, but thought it looked really wierd. Dr. Kamaka took some scrappings but couldn't find anything between the dead skin and the new, but she is going to culture it just to make sure. So the good news is that we think this is a 'normal' shed. IT could be wierd because of her previous lifestyle could be making things difficult for her.

We were sent home with some silvadine and nolvasan to apply until she gets over it. So it was an embarrassing $50 to pay to tell me Bert was shedding :eek: but I got to listen to her heart and we did detect some of her poor little claws look like she is about to lose them :( since, after all, she was captive bred being at a captive bred breeders expo . :rolleyes:

The other goods news is that Dr. Kamaka is 90% sure that Bert is a female :D

Bert is too sophisticated to be a 'Bertha'. I always envision large women with a cigerette hanging out of their mouth that worked an Alaskan saloon during the 1850's when I think of (Big) Bertha.

I had an Aunt named Bert but we always referred to her as Auntie Bo Bo.

Amy I am happy to know Bert is ok and that he is a she. Please don't call her bo bo, would you want to be know as a mictake, a booboo? Give her something nice like Lisa, lucky, Lily. You know Lily was a great cham, what better lead for her to follow.:)

Amy I am happy to know Bert is ok and that he is a she. Please don't call her bo bo, would you want to be know as a mictake, a booboo? Give her something nice like Lisa, lucky, Lily. You know Lily was a great cham, what better lead for her to follow.:)

Muhaawah ahhaaaa, how aout Laurie....:D

Who is Lily? :confused:

You're right, she needs a new name and not a unisex name.

Muhaawah ahhaaaa, how aout Laurie....:D

Who is Lily? :confused:

You're right, she needs a new name and not a unisex name.

Maybe you don't remember Lily. :( She was my first cham - she has an album of pics in my profile. Lily was so special and she touched the hearts of so many people on here - Laurie especially.:D

The other goods news is that Dr. Kamaka is 90% sure that Bert is a female :D[/QUOTE]

Hey AJA I found out my melleri Lola is a male, maybe we could trade names. :D

Okey dokey, no one had a comment on this. Let's try another one.

I have now noticed Bert's tail is turning gray. Is this the skin fungus that MD talks about?

View attachment 17537

View attachment 17538

View attachment 17539

I took Bert back to the vet yesterday as the tip of her tail has begun to atrophy and her 'rash' hasn't subsided. The vet was not happy with Bert's progress so Bert now is on Timentin (antibiotic) and Fluconazole (Fungicide) along with lactate ringers when I administer the meds.

At this point it was useless to do a blood panel because it would show an "infection" and we know that, but we just don't know exactly where and how bad (are the kidney's involved?). So the good points are that Bert is now 250 grams and still eating well.

I took Bert back to the vet yesterday as the tip of her tail has begun to atrophy and her 'rash' hasn't subsided. The vet was not happy with Bert's progress so Bert now is on Timentin (antibiotic) and Fluconazole (Fungicide) along with lactate ringers when I administer the meds.

At this point it was useless to do a blood panel because it would show an "infection" and we know that, but we just don't know exactly where and how bad (are the kidney's involved?). So the good points are that Bert is now 250 grams and still eating well.

Oh AJA I know how you must feel. That's how Lola's started except on her flap and spread down her spine. I wish you the best.

Thinking of Bert.....

Is this the Melleri that I helped you pick out at the show? I don't think the sellers had a clue about the care this species needed. You need to get a good name for that girl. I have a Melleri named Lola. When my beloved Layla died the vet confirmed she was a girl and she was actually just becoming sexually mature (he did necropsy). Is she still eating and drinking ok? Keep us updated. Wishing your girl a speedy recovery!

Thanks for the well wishes. Yes this is my "captive bred" (*cough,cough*) melleri I got from the expo. So there goes another $100 into a 'cheap' chameleon :rolleyes:

Her name might change to Stubbs when she loses her tail. :p

What was interesting was that the vet said that though chameleons can function without a tail, some will never mate because their partner won't go near them. No tail, no fun.... So now I have a little handicapped lizard...:eek:

Yes, she is eating and I give her a shower in the morning. She will get the lactate ringers to help with hydration as well. The poor little thing is going to be a pin cushion for the next 2 weeks. :(

Amy I am soooooooo sorry you are having trouble with Bert. She lloks like such a pretty chameleon & I know how you love her. We will just hope all goes well. Please do keep us updated on her.:(

Thanks Lauri, I keep posting about this because I want the other melleri keepers to know what medicines that can be used on their chameleon and the different things that can go 'wrong' with them.

Of course, it is easier for me to SAY this as oppose to PRACTICING this, but if a new melleri keeper is looking to get one of these guys, all I have to say is " be patient and wait for a captive hatched one"! :rolleyes:

So at this point, Bert has cost me more then a captive hatched melleri would have.

What was interesting was that the vet said that though chameleons can function without a tail, some will never mate because their partner won't go near them.

I have seen a female Furcifer petteri in the wild with a completely amputated tail and she appeared gravid. No way to tell if it was a fertile clutch or not but I would not assume that they won't mate because of a missing tail.

Chris

1/12/10 Update

Bert went back to the vet today and we amputated her tail. She lost about 2/3rds of it (6 grams) due to some sort of fungus that was actually deteriorating the tail. I will post photos LATER when I get an internet hook up at home.

Some how the vascular system in her tail shut down. She was unable to curl her tail and I do miss that about her :eek: Right now, she is resting comfortably and recovering from her amputee. I guess we will change her name to Stubbs. :p

Thanks for the info Chris, hopefully she will make us some pretty babies. :D

Back
Top Bottom