Limey's going on vacation, any travel tips?

alvora

Do you have experience or advice for Limey's first trip? He'll be in the car for 6 hours, he'll be staying in a cozy home in Lake Tahoe (30 degrees at night, a little colder than here). He'll have his setup but I want to make sure I do it properly. We made him a traveling crate out of a small sturdy box with the center rectangle cut out of two sides then screen covering the holes, held on with a duct tape frame. He'll be secure in the crate with large leaves of swedish chard and a secure stick wedged in diagonally. Limey's mom is a worry wart.:confused:

The crate is 8" by 4" by 5". I'm not sure how to secure it, I'm thinking bungee? He will be with us there for 3 nights, then another car ride home.

Would you consider leaving him? That's a lot of travelling for 3 nights. If you have a neighbor who's willing to help filling the dripper , misting and dropping in some crickets, it would probably be easier on the animal. Even someone who's anti-insect could do it if you just separate out the crickets for each day in small containers. Have the neighbor just toss one container in each day.

I am a control freak, I must be able to see him at frequent intervals. This is my first chameleon and I adore him. The fear of allowing someone else to be in care of his life is too great (I've had him less than one month). I have no children, my animals are my family. Lastly, I live in the hills with curvy roads, no-one wants to drive it. When he's older, I will probably let someone house sit (agree to staying there to mist watch, etc.) Again, worry wart.:cool:

I would be more afraid of all the stress you will be putting him through. I vote leave him home with a sitter.

Well...it's just my opinion, but I think that's a lot of stress to put on any animal for such a short trip and chameleons don't handle stress well at all. Is there a reptile store reasonably close? Or a vet who's experienced with chameleons? Maybe they can babysit.

Maybe others here have some ideas. 3 nights sounds a bit long for him to be alone unchecked on, but maybe there's a way it could be managed.

I took my first chameleon to oregon with me. it was a 6 hour drive and then a two week stay. i just took his entire cage with us and he stayed in his cage on my lap during the car ride. he didnt get stressed at all just make sure the cage stays warm on the car ride over.

I would be more afraid of all the stress you will be putting him through. I vote leave him home with a sitter.

Why? Its a 3 day vacation its not like they are transporting it every day.

I would use a box that does not have the screen on it. Put something in there that he can hold on to like a stick that goes through the box and out the sides. This is how I do it. If it is completely dark in the box he will just go to sleep. If he can see out of the box that would cause more stress since he will be awake and trying to escape more than likely. I really dont see this causing too much stress since you are taking his cage. Once you get him out of the box he will be right back in the enclosure he is used to and probably wont miss a beat.

I will make his life as cushy as possible. He's used to me being around him, I've been watching him and misting and picking up messes in his cage and watching and visiting many times a day. He lives in the hub of our lives (three adults, someone is always home). I must take him with us or I must stay home. We will practice yoga and breathe about this. I'm torn because I have been studying chameleon husbandry and I could use more tips on how to transport as stress-free as possible. Thank you for your help.:) I will have his lights and same cage and I'll put him high in the home.

I think it's the duration of the trip compared to the duration of travel time that's making me feel it's not great. For a 2 week or 3 week trip it wouldn't bother me. It just seems like the chameleon is going to be in a little box for 12 out of 72 hours.

Poor little guy! It will be 4 days, three nights. I thought the smaller crate would help him feel safe, I can make a bigger one! How does that sound.:eek:

Why? Its a 3 day vacation its not like they are transporting it every day.

I would use a box that does not have the screen on it. Put something in there that he can hold on to like a stick that goes through the box and out the sides. This is how I do it. If it is completely dark in the box he will just go to sleep. If he can see out of the box that would cause more stress since he will be awake and trying to escape more than likely. I really dont see this causing too much stress since you are taking his cage. Once you get him out of the box he will be right back in the enclosure he is used to and probably wont miss a beat.

I will make his life as cushy as possible. He's used to me being around him, I've been watching him and misting and picking up messes in his cage and watching and visiting many times a day. He lives in the hub of our lives (three adults, someone is always home). I must take him with us or I must stay home. We will practice yoga and breathe about this. I'm torn because I have been studying chameleon husbandry and I could use more tips on how to transport as stress-free as possible. Thank you for your help.:) I will have his lights and same cage and I'll put him high in the home.

I don't recommend travelling with your cham, but if you insist on doing it, Cains advice is perfect. That is how you should transport him.

I know I wouldnt trust somebody. Ppl like to cut corners when caring for somthing that isnt theirs. the box idea sounds solid.

I searched travel and read through what happened here two weeks ago. There was some good advice there and here in this thread. Thank you to everyone for the concern and comments. Limey will be asleep on the floor near my feet. He'll wake up in his cage. I'm new, I should have searched before asking. Thanks again to everyone.

I'm no fan of traveling it either. Leaving it to the ground will causes some vibration. Plus, the temperature is lower on the floor than higher.

Did you know that chameleons can live a few weeks without eating and over a week without drinking? Of course I am not telling you to do it, but what i mean is it's not your three/four days that will ruin his life if you leave him home, put 7-8 big silkworm in his enclosure and have your misting system run while you're gone. The chamsitter cold just come in and check it every day to tell you he's Ok.

To be honest, i am more worried by your behavior and thinking and their impact on you and your chameleon than by what could happen to your pet while you're away from it. You know, they can be your family, but you have to leave your family at home sometimes... Overprotection does as much harm as underprotection in my mind.

Of course i have read stories of people who left their chameleons for weeks to friends, and ended up having a chameleon with serious illness, but this won't happen in 4 days. If you took care of your pet already, it's not a week without dusting that will cause MBD, especially if you gutloaded your insects before leaving! And you aren't leaving for a week! ;)

At the end, the decision is yours, but since you are on this forum, i assumed i could share my thoughts. And if you decide to still bring it in car with you, try to avoid vibrations, by puting some towels on the bottom of his cage and also under his cage. They will help reducing it.

I suggest watching this video about vibrations. It might help you out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVL3b1wKZQU

I will have his crate semi surrounded with foam or bubble wrap, maybe next to me on the seat would be better?
Thanks again. I don't travel a lot but this is a special trip for other family members.

Next to you on the seat would probably be less bumpy (they put all those springs and stuff in there to make you comfy). You mentioned a bungy cord, I'd definitely do something like that. You never know when you might have to make a sudden stop and you don't want to have your baby's box go flying into the dashboard.

Back
Top Bottom