Lighting

Greenhorn

This is my setup:

I have a 38 gal Apogee Reptarium, with a 75 watt basking lamp and Reptisun 5.0 uv compact fluorescent lamp. To me it looks pretty dark inside the cage, how can i brighten up the cage? can i use normal lights/bulbs ?

That's one of the problems with those Reptariums - they don't let much light through.
And that doesn't just apply to visible light, but also to the UVB. That black mesh has been known to shield quite a lot of UVB light from the inside of the cage: quite a few keepers using Reptariums also use 10.0 lights instead of the usual 5.0 bulbs.

As for using regular light bulbs, I have at least four 18W/20W compact flourescent bulbs (the ones sold as 'energy saving' bulbs) on top of each of my cages in addition to the UVB and heating bulbs. I am not using a Reptarium or dark mesh, but I still use the extra bulbs to get more light into the cage for the live plants that are inside the enclosure. The compact flourescents put out a lot of visible light, but don't affect the temperature gradient significantly. I like to mix up the 'Cool White' and 'Warm White' lights to give a fuller spectrum of light for the plants.

I am currently using 2 Reptariums, and like Tygerr, I use extra lightbulbs in clamp lamps on each of the cages. I also strongly recommend going with a 10.0 UVB as someone here on the forum tested a Reptarium and how much UVB was being blocked and it was significant. So-I have a 10.0, a basking bulb, and an additional 60-75W bulb on each cage.

I have a 175gal reptarium. I use the 24" 10.0 bulb, a 24" fluorescent grow bulb and two more 10w grow bulbs in clamp lamps, and a 30w basking bulb. Lots of lights..but the enclosure is filled with live plants, which are doing very good with the extra lighting. I have the basking bulb placed in a "dry zone" away from most the plants and right up to the top of the cage.

As my cage is a small one and i am using a Reptarium, can i use a 5.0 and a 10.0 UVB compact fluorescent lamps ? Will the cham get an overdose of UVB ? Is too much bad?

Chuck G-I agree that they are not the best cages, but I have sucessfully used them for all of my younger chams before they graduate into their adult screen cages. I am still using 2 with no issues.
Greenhorn-I would scrap the compact UVB bulbs-people have been having problems with them not giving out enough UVB.

Get a ballist that holds two flourescent bulbs. One for UVb and the other can be a normal flourescent bulb. Adds light but not heat.

Back
Top Bottom