Lighting problem--too much light?

Lovereps

Avid Member
Presently, my chams have ReptiSun 5.0 bulbs in strip fixtures resting on the screen tops.

I want to add light for their plants. I've thought of using 2 fluorescent bulb hanging fixtures within 1" of the screen tops with 1 ReptiSun and 1 6500K bulb.

Will this be too much light for my chams' eyes to be near? Will they likely bask beneath the wrong bulb?

That is perfect. That is how I do my cages.

Soon I will be moving some cages around and plan to place four lamps above my cages.

Remember, they live outside, the sun is very bright. Yes, they live in the shade, but even the shade is pretty bright compared to inside lighting.

Even with those two lights, the sun will still not be as bright as it would be outside. I have three lights for each cage - basking light, T5, and 6500K.

Even with those two lights, the sun will still not be as bright as it would be outside. I have three lights for each cage - basking light, T5, and 6500K.

Thanks for replying and sharing your knowledge.
Are both of your fluorescents directly on top of a screen cage or do you have a different arrangement?
I'd rather learn things a different way than by attending the "school of hard knocks" in person.
I did realize that the sun is far brighter but these lights would be much closer than the sun is ;)
In case others were wondering, all chams have both a basking light and a UVB light.

I have the Arcadia setup so my lights are side-by-side in one canopy that sits across the top of the enclosure, and my basking lamp is in a corner.

Summoner12, thank you. I can recall the older uvb bulbs harming others' cham's eyes and don't want to do anything similar to my critters.

Randi, thanks so much for providing that extra info too.

Now I am sure that my chams would be harmed by my planned lighting arrangement.
Kudos to you both! :)

Back
Top Bottom