Light for plants. Is this it?

ChamomilleCame

Avid Member
Hello :) I have understood that the plant light should be a 5000k bulb, so I got that. On the pack, it says it's a daily compact flourecent 5000k bulb. It's a spiral. Brand ecosmart. 120v 14w.
Does anyone use this kind, or is it the one I'm looking for?

Well I have had a fern indoors for about 2 years. All I have been using in my screen cage is the 100watt heat bulb and the 5.0 UVB and my promist system and it has been a very happy fern but id assume different for different plants.

you could try

http://www.flchams.com/safe_plant_list.asp

a percentage of those plants like Heat lamps and uvb as well as produce really high humidity, I have had to upgrade the pot of my fern because it loved its surroundings and temperature as well as morning and afternoon mistings. All Organic though, My chams love to hide in the fern as well as ocasionally hang upside down on the biggest branch they can find.

Most everyone uses 6500k bulbs for plant growth. I'm not sure about the 5000k though, maybe someone else can chime in on that bulb.

Hello :) I have understood that the plant light should be a 5000k bulb, so I got that. On the pack, it says it's a daily compact flourecent 5000k bulb. It's a spiral. Brand ecosmart. 120v 14w.
Does anyone use this kind, or is it the one I'm looking for?

6500K is "ideal color" but 5000K is close enough that it will work well (I would not bother changing your bulb at this point until it burns out). In fact many manufacturers label 5000-7000K as "daylight".

14W should be bright enough for "basic" setups

Just a note: As someone else said, for really simple setups your basking bulb + UVB bulb will generate enough light for your plants too. If you want your plants to grow nicely or have a really dense setup, then you may want to consider additional lighting for your plants....this is not necessary, but imho does improve both plant growth and overall plant health.

@chamlover: what do you mean you used to use 6500K then stopped? Why would you stop?

I prefer 5000k, at the recommendation of ReptileUV, which stated that 6500k lighting is too blue and chameleons perceive it more as gray, and it may bother them. They say that the 5000 is a more natural tone of white light and will not affect the chameleons. I have used both and prefer the 5000k as well, for the same reason. The 6500 was too harsh, too cold and blue, where as the 5000 looks just white.

Back
Top Bottom