Leopard tortoise & sub-adult bearded dragon (pic HEAVY)

Monkeykungphu

Well, since I can't post up any pictures of a chameleon because I don't have any yet, I figured I would post some of my other reptiles.

This is Louie, I've had him for about 3 months now. Got him from a co-worker who could no longer keep him. She gave him to me for free with the 40 gal tank, lights, & pet store driftwood! :D Last weekend I was laying slate tile in my house so I cut him some up & sealed it as his substrate. Cleans super easy & doesn't look too bad either.

He's an awesome pet, really quirky little personality. When I got him he was about 14" long, he's a litle over 16" at the moment. Eats like a hog!!

Chasing crickets while shedding.

Everynow & then he just decides it's a good idea to flex his beard :eek: lol!

I got Layla when I was in 6th grade, I'm 33 now. When I got her she was about 4 yrs old. Ordered her through Tom Crutchfields (think that was the name) out of Florida through his reptile flyer/catalog. Way before the inernet!! lol I would guess she's about 25 years old now.

babylaylacropped.jpg

Here she is now (my avatar pic)

Yesterday she dug a hole as though she were about to lay eggs. She's been doing that every now & then in the summer for the few past years. Too bad I don't have a boy for her. Adult male leopards don't come easy & aren't cheap. Anyone know of someone near Dallas with a male leopard that wants to hookup? :D

I used to keep a veiled from around '95-2001. He was a lot of fun, awnry little guy though! lol Would love to get another chameleon. Promised the misses we could finish the house remodeling before we get another pet. We should have it wrapped up hopefully by the end of summer. I can't wait, the more I read about them & see all of the crazy different kinds, it makes me want a chameleon (or chameleonS!!) even more! lol. This is a great web-site by the way, well put together & lots of great info. here!! Seems like a really good forum community! I can't seem to stay away from this site! :p

I'll be getting a male panther first. Then I can't decide if I want to go with carpet, mellers, veiled, or pygmies next!! :D

I have two leopard torts....they are a lot younger than yours is. I'm hoping one is male and the other is female, but I haven't really tried to figure it out yet since they are still young. One is about the size of the one in the hands...and the other is about twice as big.

Is the picture with the tape measure recent?
She's beautiful!

BTW your beardie is beautiful too!

Great job on the Tortoise. Keeping her alive and healthy for that long is wonderful. Thats a great deal on Louie, especially with a 40 gal tank for free! Hope he appreciates his tile floor.

I have a twenty year old male but he's in Florida. Between him and his mate I'm loaded with mixed age juvies :/

Thanks!

Yes Montium, it would be cool if you lived a litle closer. We could make some tortoise magic happen! :p

Here's a couple of more where you can see Louie's tank & slate better.

Thanks for the information! I was just interested in how big they ultimately get to know if I will be able to keep them or not. I hope I can!

Thanks for the information! I was just interested in how big they ultimately get to know if I will be able to keep them or not. I hope I can!

I would help if you have a yard when they get larger. I would be tough to keep them in an apartment when they're 9+ inches unless you had a lot of free space! I keep mine in the back yard during the summer months & bring her into the house when it get's cold outside. I keep her in a LARGE plastic tub with uvb & basking in a corner during the winter. It's not the best scenario, but I don't want her outside when it's below 55 deg.

Have any pictures or your torts kinyonga??

I do have pictures but unfortunately my old computer won't let me attach them and that's where they are stored at the moment.

I don't live in an apartment, but its not warm long here...so most of the year they would have to stay inside...in a 6' x 2' cage...and I'd like them to have more room than that.

I don't live in an apartment, but its not warm long here...so most of the year they would have to stay inside...in a 6' x 2' cage...and I'd like them to have more room than that.

I'll have a 6'x3' area for mine in the garage. I provide a UVB/merc vapor heat lamp at one end. She still slows down a lot & doesn't eat a whole lot for a few months. Not sure what part of Canada you're in, but I'd imagine your winters would last a bit longer than ours in any case.

What are your warm months up there? In Dallas, it gets cold enough to bring here in around Nov. to March. If it's over 60 degrees, she stays outside for the most part.

I wouldn't want them to be outside earlier than June or later than September depending on the year's weather. They would have to be watched since there are wild animals around here and cats. They could never stay in the garage over the winter...they would freeze.

I wouldn't want them to be outside earlier than June or later than September depending on the year's weather. They would have to be watched since there are wild animals around here and cats. They could never stay in the garage over the winter...they would freeze.

If you wanted to get crazy with it & could spare the space in the garage, you could always build an enclosure inside of the garage, put a roof on it, insulate it, install lights/heat etc. However, I'm guessing that would take up quite a bit of space in your garage. Not sure if you can spare that much room...

Well, if they're much smaller now. At least you have quite a while to figure it out before they're really big. :) Good luck!

That's a pretty female leopard tortoise; you've done well with her. I have 3 or 4 extra males in the 9-10" range, but you're right, they're not exactly cheap! Males don't usually get as large as the girls in leopard torts - my biggest male is about 12".

LeopardSex.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Tyler! Wish I had an extra $1k to blow on a male at the moment! Maybe sometime in the next couple of years. :)

That's a great pic of some turtle breeding you got going on there!! lol Makes me wonder how big a male would have to be to mount a 13" female?

On a side note, I was looking at your Tortoise Supply link. Great web-site! Is that you in the About You section? If it is, I noticed that you're a commercial concrete estimator. I'm a commercial general contractor estimator for a company called Core Construction in Dallas, been here for 4 years. However, I was a concrete estimator for 6 years before this! I too can calculate rebar weights in a grade beam!! lol :D

Core actually has an office in Las Vegas too! Have you guys ever worked with them before?

Back
Top Bottom