Kingsnake Juvenile won't eat.

KingJulien

So my hubby's new little snake has been with us almost two weeks and he hasn't eaten yet. I'm a little worried but I think two weeks isn't long enough to panic. We keep offering pinky mice and he's not interested. I even rubbed one on the bearded dragon because the scent is supposed to spark the appetite. :confused:
Any ideas or suggestions?

I think so, it's my husband's pet so I didn't personally do much looking into his care. He's got a heat pad and light on one side of the tank and paper towels on the bottom. It's a grey-banded kingsnake.=QUOTE]

Grey banded kingsnakes are notorious for not eating while young, that video should help since the man in the video uses that method on his juvenile grey banded.

Is too late for this, but with Corns, Kings and Milks never buy one that the vendor can't prove out as having already eaten. Many babies of these species never start eating for some reason.

You may have to force feed it with a pinky pump. Grey banded kings are well known for not eating

Chuck

Grey banded kingsnakes are notorious for not eating while young, that video should help since the man in the video uses that method on his juvenile grey banded.

I thought it was orange and yellow. Hubby's snake is grey and black and red/orange.

Is too late for this, but with Corns, Kings and Milks never buy one that the vendor can't prove out as having already eaten. Many babies of these species never start eating for some reason.

The vendor at the Sac. reptile expo said it had eaten already, but we didn't ask for any proof.

You may have to force feed it with a pinky pump. Grey banded kings are well known for not eating

Chuck

Thanks, I will look into this. We have had him for two weeks now, at what point should we force feed?

I normally would let my husband take care of it since I told him I didn't want to feed his snakes but his work will continue to be insane over the next week so I may have to take over till then. Thanks for all your help.

Yeah the snake in the video was not a grey banded but he has used that process with his grey banded

I had a baby kingsnake once, and he also wouldn't start out on pinkies. I lived in Florida at the time so I tried some anoles that I was able to catch. At first I offered these really small ones, but he wouldn't touch those either, finally when I offered a larger anole he did take it. After that I believe he did eat pinkies then. You may have to try an anole first, they do sell feeder anoles I believe from LLL.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom