kind of an odd question...

kelzi

has anyone's cham ever tried to eat them?
ok that sounded bad but I'll explain: my boyfriend hates my cham, never really liked him at all, but now that we live together I told him to get used to it. So I got him to put his hand in the cage and let him walk on it. Well for the first time ever, my cham went after his thumb and tried to stick it with his tongue! has that ever happened to anyone else or does my chameleon have a mutual disliking for my bf??? lol

Was your boyfriend wearing any nail polish? I have had a cham try to eat my wifes fingers when she wears certin nail polish.

My male panther always comes to the front of the cage with his tongue ready when I walk up. He associates me with food.

Oh, does your BF's fingers look like crickets?

I think that your Cham prolly senses your boyfriends dislike towards him. Animals are smart and can sense tension.

My female veiled will mistake my fingers for food all the time. Im glad you brought this thread up because i was going to post asking the same thing. Sometimes she seems to even use her tounge as self defense. Yesterday i took her out to clean her cage and she shot her tounge at my eye. It ended up hitting my eyelash so i dont know if she mistook my eyelash for a worm or if she was aiming toward my eye. I think i have made her this way because i hand feed her so often. Its seems now she will shoot at any body part i'll stick in the cage.

This is my pure speculation.. so don't bash me too much :)
I think, chameleons tend to think of us as 2 things.
When they first saw us, they immediately think that we are predators. Therefore they generally get pissy.
However, later on, they start to see that we are not a predator.. but everytime we come, a sweet treat comes out. such as water and insects.
In the wild, chameleon lives off trees.
They get water from licking the leaves and they hunt for insects at the tree.
Perhaps, they saw us as a mobile tree (I think Kristina -a senior member- brought this interesting theory and i kinda believe her cause it explains why certain chameleons behave that way).

Since he's always getting shower from me, Now, when i come to the cage for feeding and watering, he, once in a while, will lick my finger.

Perhaps, the chameleon saw your pupil as an insect that crawling on the mobile tree.

Last edited:
...but everytime we come, a sweet treat comes out. such as water and insects... Since he's always getting shower from me, Now, when i come to the cage for feeding and watering, he, once in a while, will lick my finger...
Howdy Dodolah,

First it was Pavlov's Dog and now it's Dodolah's Chameleon :).

Back
Top Bottom