Kenya Pygmy Info?

i am ordering a trio (hopefully breeding 1.2) of WC kenya Pygmies from one of my exotic suppliers.

I would like some basic info in terms of supplimenting, temps and humidity. and do they breed continuously like brevicaudatus?

rep points for whoever helps.

Chances are you're going to get them and find out you just (over)paid for brevs. Almost none of the Kenya Pygmy chameleons sold are actually R. kerstenii and are actually just R. brevicaudatus. If they are true R. kerstenii, they are somewhat larger than R. brevicaudatus, typically come from more open and slightly warmer habitat, but I would keep them very similarly.

Chris

i have the option of brevs and kenyas. they are both going for the same price and this would be $75 for a wild caught trio (again not sure what the sex will be), but will choose only a pair if it is a 2.1 that is shipped to me.

i will be calling again monday for an updated species lists. but as of right now, a breeding colony of a pyg species is mostly in my interest.

i also have the chance of choosing a meru jacksons, flapnecked, mellers, just to name a few. a desert side stripe and false rudis side stripe were mentioned too.

Chances are you're going to get them and find out you just (over)paid for brevs. Almost none of the Kenya Pygmy chameleons sold are actually R. kerstenii and are actually just R. brevicaudatus. If they are true R. kerstenii, they are somewhat larger than R. brevicaudatus, typically come from more open and slightly warmer habitat, but I would keep them very similarly.

Chris

So true on potentially getting brevs or even temps for that matter. But if you do get true kerstenii you can house them the same as brevs. I had a friend that use to have two females some years back. I set up his enclosure for him the same as I did my brevs and they lived pretty well. The bigger female layed eggs that were unfertile and she died after about 2 years but she was pretty big when he got her so I figure she was at least 2 years old already. The smaller female lived for for close to 3 1/2 years. I think she died because my friends wife turned off the A/C when they went out of town and the heat got to her. Im not positive on the breeding though. From what I have heard they will breed regularly but not as often as brevs.

than that being said, is it possible or hazardous cohabitating the two species together providing they have the right space?

i feel like this a noob thing for me to ask, though i am confident and know the answer towards true chameleons, but has anyone done this with two pygmy species and had success?

i have the option of brevs and kenyas. they are both going for the same price and this would be $75 for a wild caught trio (again not sure what the sex will be), but will choose only a pair if it is a 2.1 that is shipped to me.

i will be calling again monday for an updated species lists. but as of right now, a breeding colony of a pyg species is mostly in my interest.

i also have the chance of choosing a meru jacksons, flapnecked, mellers, just to name a few. a desert side stripe and false rudis side stripe were mentioned too.

I would go with the Kenya's if thats what they are. Brevs are easier to obtain, well in the US they are. I'd go with the rarer species but the down side it that there isnt much info.

I have heard of people housing brevs and temps together but it was like one female of each. I personally wouldn't house two species together. Just too much stress, especially if you want to breed them.

for the price i can get the 3 at, i think that is the species i am going to obtain. im filling up a 50 gallon long, so false chameleons is what im 96% sure im going with. my thoughts exactly about the rarity of the species. but whatever comes to me, i will not complain and will be satisfied with it.

i also feel confident about taking in a new species with little info. with basics, you can do wonders.

thank you you guys for you help and all the extra info is greatly appreciated

well... 50 gallons is pretty big.

heres what i'm gonna do.

1) divide the tank
2) work with both species as i have already and still am had brevs in captivity

no brainer. thanks for your help guys.. i cant wait its gonna be a lot of fun

Back
Top Bottom