Kelp (seaweed)

Discussion in 'Chameleon Food' started by sandrachameleon, Aug 13, 2009.

1. sandrachameleon

sandrachameleon Chameleon Enthusiast

Is anyone using fresh bull kelp as a gutload?

I've been using dried kelp in my dry gutload for awhile now. But I prefer to primarily use a wet gutload. Buying dried kelp isnt cheap and not always easy to find, but fresh kelp is free (since I live by the ocean). I thought after the next storm, or next time Im out in a boat, I'd harvest a little kelp and give it a try.

I know it has four times as much calcium as phosphorous. Some Magnesium, some Potassium, some Sodium (I wonder if rinsing it well would reduce that, or if its permeated throughout), trace amounts of many other minerals and of vitamins, almost no fat.

thoughts? suggestions?

If the bugs dont eat it, or if its not good for lizards, I suppose I could add it to soups for me. Or maybe I could dehydrate it and at least have cheaper dry gutload, or I could sprinkle it on things.
  2. Syn

Syn Avid Member

Isn't spirulina a type of seaweed? Is this similar to spirulina?

There are so many different types of seaweed, perhaps it would be necessary to get pictures of it.

I'd like to try some kelp!
  3. Syn

Syn Avid Member

Algae! For some reason I thought it was a type of seaweed. The color throws me off.

If this does end up being a good gutload, I'm going to have to start getting kelp from my friends in California! :)

Sandra, two of those pictures are 403/404'd.

edit: Just looked at eBay to see if there was any kelp. Found something! Kelp Powder, 8 oz.
  4. sandrachameleon

That's cheaper than the health food store I get mine from.

But I still might try fresh.

Well, algae is a seaweed too I guess, but really really small. Bull Kelp is BIG
    #5 sandrachameleon, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  5. jojackson

jojackson New Member

Maybe soak it in freshwater for a few hours Sandra?
  6. sandrachameleon

Ya, That makes sense. It wont loose all its salty flavour, due to the potassium. But at least that would rinse off most of the ocean salt.
  7. Syn

Syn Avid Member

Would probably be necessary to let it soak and change the water every hour or so?

I want to try some kelp, now. :p