K. Matschiei V.S. T. Quadricornis

JoeG

These babies all hatched in November 2011 & have been in my care since Feruary & March 2012. Quads are slow growers but at the 9 month mark they are twice the size of the Kinyongia

Attachments

• 367.jpg
    367.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 239
  • 368.jpg
    368.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 241
  • 380.jpg
    380.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 249
  • 378.jpg
    378.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 377.jpg
    377.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 246
sweet looking chams!!! im gettin a lil quad boy im lookin forward toit. theres bada**...

The Quads were hatched by First Choice Reptiles from a WC import so I'm not sure if they are Gracilior. It would be a nice surprise if they were. The K. Matchiei came from C.Norton. Both my favorites right now.

The Quads were hatched by First Choice Reptiles from a WC import so I'm not sure if they are Gracilior. It would be a nice surprise if they were. The K. Matchiei came from C.Norton. Both my favorites right now.

Why I was asking is because are quads must be brothers. I also have have a male quad that was from First Chioice Reptiles that was born in november. I thought I seen a resemblance between the two, lol, especially the one in the second picture. I tried to upload a picture but am having trouble so as soon I can do that I will.

Thanks for the shots! Your quad is just stunning.
You never saw K.Mats till Chad started working with them ;) I have a female that is a full sister to yours and a male that is a half sibling to yours....I absolutely LOVE them!!

I don't recall all the different times that I've seen T. q. gracilior over the years, but I know that Nick of First Choice Reptiles offered them frequently. I even remember a time, but I don't know what year, where for a while, it seemed that T. q. gracilior was a little easier for me to find than T. q. quadricornis. The reason I remember that is because for some time, I couldn't decide which subspecies I wanted to concentrate on. I love them both. I really like yellows (seen so often on the face of gracilior), but I also like blues (which seem more prevelant on T. q. quadricornis). In the end though, I decided to work with T. q. quadricornis because I really like the higher dorsal crests that they seem to have (not as high in gracilior; at least in the ones I've seen). Whatever that time was, I remember having a harder time finding the nominate form whereas the gracilior subspecies seemed to be "everywhere". Does anyone else remember when this might have been?

Anyway, I find it interesting that CB T. q. quadricornis are much easier to find at the moment than are CB gracilior. Part of that I'm sure is due to them being exported in greater numbers compared to gracilior over recent years. I'm guessing another reason is because back during the time period I'm thinking about when graciliors were more commonly imported than they are now, keepers in general were not as successful in rearing quad neonates. Breeding them didn't seem to be an issue but producing strong babies followed by successfully raising them was a rarer event than it is today. I believe because of our collective knowledge of good husbandry techniques (especially what has been learned about supplementation for montane species), gained through such wonderful resources as the Chameleon Forums :D, we've come a long way, especially since I first started keeping quads in the early 90s. Now, if we could only easily obtain some of those other species which used to be imported so often, I believe we'd be seeing way more captive bred species available because of the vast improvement of overall knowledge in chameleon husbandry, even though there is an infinite amount yet to learn. I may be way overly confident, but I believe much of what I've learned about supplementation though experience, supported by the experiences of others I've read about here on the forums, if applied to other species I kept in the past (T. johnstoni and T. fuelleborni come to mind), would lead to successfully raising the neonates of those species. Now, if I can only get my hands on some of those. :D Kingsnake.com seems pretty "dry" right now in terms of chameleon availability. I sure which we'll start seeing more imports soon. :)

Perry

I don't recall all the different times that I've seen T. q. gracilior over the years, but I know that Nick of First Choice Reptiles offered them frequently. I even remember a time, but I don't know what year, where for a while, it seemed that T. q. gracilior was a little easier for me to find than T. q. quadricornis. The reason I remember that is because for some time, I couldn't decide which subspecies I wanted to concentrate on. I love them both. I really like yellows (seen so often on the face of gracilior), but I also like blues (which seem more prevelant on T. q. quadricornis). In the end though, I decided to work with T. q. quadricornis because I really like the higher dorsal crests that they seem to have (not as high in gracilior; at least in the ones I've seen). Whatever that time was, I remember having a harder time finding the nominate form whereas the gracilior subspecies seemed to be "everywhere". Does anyone else remember when this might have been?

Anyway, I find it interesting that CB T. q. quadricornis are much easier to find at the moment than are CB gracilior. Part of that I'm sure is due to them being exported in greater numbers compared to gracilior over recent years. I'm guessing another reason is because back during the time period I'm thinking about when graciliors were more commonly imported than they are now, keepers in general were not as successful in rearing quad neonates. Breeding them didn't seem to be an issue but producing strong babies followed by successfully raising them was a rarer event than it is today. I believe because of our collective knowledge of good husbandry techniques (especially what has been learned about supplementation for montane species), gained through such wonderful resources as the Chameleon Forums :D, we've come a long way, especially since I first started keeping quads in the early 90s. Now, if we could only easily obtain some of those other species which used to be imported so often, I believe we'd be seeing way more captive bred species available because of the vast improvement of overall knowledge in chameleon husbandry, even though there is an infinite amount yet to learn. I may be way overly confident, but I believe much of what I've learned about supplementation though experience, supported by the experiences of others I've read about here on the forums, if applied to other species I kept in the past (T. johnstoni and T. fuelleborni come to mind), would lead to successfully raising the neonates of those species. Now, if I can only get my hands on some of those. :D Kingsnake.com seems pretty "dry" right now in terms of chameleon availability. I sure which we'll start seeing more imports soon. :)

Perry

Your typing skills are impressive. It would take me a week to type all that. I really like your positivity, thank you!

Thanks for the shots! Your quad is just stunning.
You never saw K.Mats till Chad started working with them ;) I have a female that is a full sister to yours and a male that is a half sibling to yours....I absolutely LOVE them!!

We do have to give Chad the credit he deserves for the K.Matschiei / I really like them too!

Your typing skills are impressive. It would take me a week to type all that. I really like your positivity, thank you!

Thanks. I try to be positive, but I definitely can be long-winded though! :D I actually took a typing course in high school using an actual typewriter ;) (can't remember though whether it was required or optional). Those latter two facts probably give you an idea how old I am. :rolleyes: My wife and I currently tag team to home school our 4 kids (our oldest is 9), and we have to continually evaluate what subjects we need/want to teach. In today's world, typing is no longer needed (isn't usually taught in public schools), but it still can be useful. :)

Perry

Very nice looking animals. I really like my matschiei too. They are a close second to K. tavetana as my favorite species I have kept.

Glad to see yours bred, Steve.

Back
Top Bottom