Just an update on my chams since it has been so long!

FFSTRescue

Not sure if anyone cares, but I just wanted to post a little update on the kids because I haven't been on here in forever, I have been insanely busy, but now I'll get on more often to answer medical questions again :)

So, of my 9 sternfeldi babies, they are growing like weeds, they are so strong, healthy, and amazing! I thought these guys were supposed to be tough to raise as babies ;). There is one that is tiny, is half the size of the rest, but she is still eating and drinking, she is just slow at it, and has to be separated because the others get the food before her. She's my special little one.

I am down to 2 Senegal babies, very disappointing. I don't think I could do anything more, I took of work for a month to take care of this clutch!!! There has to be something that they are not getting or are getting too much of than in their normal habitat, because they thrive in their normal habitat and cover a wide range and in such high numbers as well. I am someday going to go over there, take soil samples, rainwater samples, study them, study babies and the success rate of wild hatchlings and figure this out.

My female oustie just got over the death of her male companion about 2 weeks ago (its been about 2 months?). It was a tough road of being in ICU, getting all the eggs out that she decided to prematurely drop after his death, etc. This is such a "social" species in that they feel comfortable in numbers, so when she gets out of her cage, she goes to the nearest cage and hangs with that chameleon, any species, and turns calm colors. Very interesting.

I have been acclimating many different WC species (trying to anyway) and I have found the cause of death to almost always be gastric immobility inducing sepsis. Does anyone know of any studies on this? I have seen so much cholecystitis, where the gallbladder actually ruptures. And the small intestines are completely necrotic, both of these causing sepsis.

My baby Deremensis are growling like weeds, I am feeding them sparingly as to not cause liver dysfunction at an early age causing premature death which is so common with this species, and they are still growing amazingly fast for deremensis and are now starting to turn green. My babies are growing up!

I am treating a Fischers for eye issues, he is constantly closing his eyes. He is so healthy in every other aspect. We have tried every eye ointment, medication, supplement, culture and sensitivity, basically every test one can think of, and he is still closing his eyes. I have literally done everything, I use distilled water, changed his plants, he is outside, so I moved him inside, gave him lower UV, done everything, but he won't open his eyes beyond slits. Very frustrating. Beyond the basics and the obvious, anyone have any ideas? I'm going to do another c/s to see if pseudomonas was missed or in too little numbers of bacterium to grow, and a detailed fungal culture once again, otherwise I'm baffled.

It's time to move everyone inside for the season (except for the deremensis and sternfeldi, of course) and I am in the works of hooking my misting system directly to the pipes in the wall for a constant water supply (well water). Anyone ever had problems doing it this way?

I am looking for more female verrucosus and am having NO luck, so if anyone knows where I can get any, PLEASE let me know! :)

Sorry for the long thread, it has just been so long since I've been on here and I would LOVE anyone's input. Thanks! ;)

It's time to move everyone inside for the season (except for the deremensis and sternfeldi, of course) and I am in the works of hooking my misting system directly to the pipes in the wall for a constant water supply (well water). Anyone ever had problems doing it this way?

I think it will clog the tips fast (well water):confused:

Yeh, it might clog the mister because of calcium and other deposits.
The well water should be pretty pure though huh?

Nice post, very interesting.

Thanks for the update Kristen! I was hoping that you had not disappeared. Sounds like you have been plenty busy.

Hey Kristen have you tried a tiny drop of vit A? Just the stuff for people in gel caps and only a very small drop might help the Fischers. I just put it on the back of a cricket as I am feeding. jmo

I did try the vitamin A gel capsules, but to no avail. He actually opened one eye yesterday, and then closed it after an hour.

My dad would be hooking the mister up to my house water for me as I am pretty worthless in that area and he said it would be coming from the water softener, so do you still think that would clog? I would ideally like to use spring water, I know I have read that many people use distilled water, but there is no mineral content in distilled, and I just don't feel comfortable using it and relying on gut-loading and dusting for mineral intake, because rain water contains minerals (what they'd naturally get in the wild), though I worry about metal content even with the softener.

Laurie, how does Monday delivery for Tuesday arrival sound? ;)

Back
Top Bottom