japanese maple (Acer Palmatum).. Safe??

Infinite ink

Im looking at a Japanese maple (Acer Palmatum) its looks amazing but i want to know if its safe before i purchase it, its pretty expensive..
Any one know if its ok for my veiled??
heres a pic
MemorialWeekend020.jpg

That tree is beautiful. I would look it up on the internet and if you read all about the plant somewhere in the information it will usually tell if it is safe. I hope it is.:)

i have looked up and down for info for a whole week and have found nothing but general info for this type of tree:(... it would make a great addition to my veiled's home.. and the colors on this tree are truly amazing..

not all safe plant lists are created equal

not all safe plant lists agree, and i could not find that specific variety listed on any of the well known safe plant lists. according to melissa kaplans safe list, acer variety maples are safe, but high in oxalic acid. http://www.anapsid.org/resources/edible.html but according to university of illinois vet med toxic plant database; http://www.library.illinois.edu/vex/toxic/comlist.htm (which was linked from the same site) red maple (acer rubrum) is toxic and probably similar. my personal feeling is that it is probably safe if your cham is not a big plant eater and has other vegetative oportunities available, (and you keep an eye on it for a while). ming (aralia) trees are on some safe plant lists, and look very similar (and are equally expensive). not all safe plant list are the same and i often see plants on safe plant lists that i would not use. all i can say is if you buy either one , use common sense , keep an eye on it for a while and seperate if you notice any strange behavior, or symptoms, or, if seems like your cham is ingesting unusual qtys of the plant in preference over known safe vegetative opportunities (like offering kale), or if he seems to have any unusual attraction in terms of ingesting it. you will probably never get a definitive , specific answer. so i would say probably ok if you proceed with caution, but be prepared to turn it into a non-cham plant if suspicions arise. just my 2c worth

cool i think i will get it, but I'm going to be out of town for a couple of weeks and don't want to take a chance.. when i get back i will be able to monitor how he adapts to the tree.. just for reference, what are some signs of plant intoxication and what do i do in case?

Probably not

Acer sp are best avoided. First, it is not very sturdy, second, not a house plant ( not sure if you were planning on using this in an outdoor enclosure ), third and most important: constant feeding on maples, esp. red maple can cause anemia. Best to stick with a safer plant.

Back
Top Bottom