Jackson Chameleon Babies

FleaBitten

This is my first post. My name is Eric. I am 33, have been keeping reptiles for about 20 years (mostly tortoises). I work part-time at the National Zoo in Washington DC at the Bird House, and also work for a national chain pet store.

I have experience keeping Jackson's Chameleons, however I have only ever had males. I bought a female in May of this year. Today I walked in and saw baby chameleons walking around her cage. I am freaking out. I have hatched bearded dragons and baby turtles before, but I have no idea what to do with these little beauties.

My questions are: do I try and feed them flightless fruitflies tonight? (I think they are more than 8 hours old. They do not have any membranes on them.) And is there anything else I should be aware of during their first day in the world.

I'm excited. I will post pictures in a couple of hours. I'm running up to the store to get some fly's now. Thanks. Eric.

Hi Eric, welcome to the forum. Working at the zoo must be nice, well except for the clean up parts.

Most people do separate the babies from the mother. Because baby jacksons are so small about all you can feed them for a while is just what you are after FFs. Some people keep the babies in a tub for the first few weeks, but other have great success keeping the babies in a screen cage. Make sure they don't get to hot, to dry, etc, just like your other Jacksons. Oh and congratulations.

Here's mom:
102_2935.jpg

Here's dad:
102_2919.jpg

Here's junior:
BabyJack.jpg

I seperated them from mom immediately after I discovered them. I have them in a spare screen cage, but I honestly think it's too big for them. The FF's seem to be getting out before any babies have a chance to get them. Has anyone had any success with babies in a 15 tall aquarium?

You can put a piece of fruit in the cage. It will keep a lot of the flies close by.

Put some mesh like panty hose over the top. Or cope out like I do and order a butter fly cage from live monarch. Not even ff get out of those cages.
Let me know how the are doing.

Back
Top Bottom