Is this normal?

addicted

Established Member
I have a 4 month old male Ambanja Panther Chameleon.
I've noticed that occasionally he seems to blink really hard (he seems to be sort of pulling his eye in) and at the same time a sort of bubble comes up from the side of the eye socket. He only does it once or twice at a time, and not very often, maybe once a month...that I've witnessed.

Is this normal, has anyone aver seen this before?

Otherwise his eyes look healthy, not sunken. I'm misting 3-4 times/day and there is a live small ficus plant in there, humidity is between 60-70, except of coarse when misting, when it spikes above 80.

If it's not normal I will fill out the 'How to ask for help' form, and maybe we can figure out what's wrong.

Do you witness it when you are misting him? I agree with Nucci it is a way they clean their eyes.

First time I saw it I just about freaked out. I swore something was wrong. Actually my second post on this site was about that. :D .

If it happens quite frequently, when you are not misting it may be a reason for alarm. But it is just one of those scary things that Chameleons do to make us worry about them... :eek: :p

I find they do it more often when being misted , thats why I asked they misting question.

Ryan

Thanks Guys!!!
You've really put my mind at ease! I was so worried something was wrong with the little guy! It really, really freaked me out, I had these horrible images of his eye swelling up, it's hard enough to find a regular vet at 10 o'clock at night, let alone a reptile vet!
He shed yesterday, and now that I think about it he usually does the eye thing shortly (within a day) after shedding. I try to be careful not to mist directly on him, especially right after his shed, I'm not sure if this is neccesary but he's so little and I figured his skin must be extra sensitive right after a shed.
I know the older chams enjoy being misted directly, what age is it safe to start doing this with a panther?

Back
Top Bottom