is this a jacksonii jacksonii?

flyty808

i got her from a friend as a breeding project between the two of us and he was not sure when he firt got her he thought she was a meru. but after doing more reserch we think she is a jacksonii jacksonii. thank you all for your opinions,:D im really excited to work with her

Attachments

• jacksonii.jpg
    jacksonii.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 273
  • jacksonii2.jpg
    jacksonii2.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 267
That her is a he and it's a Jackson chameleon but idk if there's different kinds of them but def male Jackson

EDIT: indent recall a female Jackson having horns so I'm sure it's a male

That her is a he and it's a Jackson chameleon but idk if there's different kinds of them but def male Jackson[/QUOTE

the jacksonii jacksonii female has horns and i was told its a her and a jacksonii and i have been looking at photos to try and determin if so and ive herd some female meru jacksons have 3 horns too.

I pulled this off Blue Beast Reptiles website and it says the females can have three horns also. The coloring is different than yours in the pic though.http://www.bluebeastreptile.com/jacksons.htm

thank you carol. and yes her colors dont seem to be so happy but i have tuned up her inclosure and been misting and she's been drinking but i have not seen her eat yet. well soon when she is in breeding shape i will have to find a male or hopefully some one will let me use there stud:D

That looks like a female J.Jacksonni. Is she a WC or has she been kept with a male? She looks gravid .JMO

That looks like a female J.Jacksonni. Is she a WC or has she been kept with a male? She looks gravid .JMO

i was told cb but she has been with others and she has a scar on her back so im guessing she has mated. but she could easily be wc even though i was told differntly you know how things go. but i hope she is gravid:D
and thanks for your opinion

i was told cb but she has been with others and she has a scar on her back so im guessing she has mated. but she could easily be wc even though i was told differntly you know how things go. but i hope she is gravid:D
and thanks for your opinion

Hi there,

this animal is definetly a Jacksonii xantholophus male.:D

Greets Amboalava

No, she is most definitely not a T. jacksonii xantholophus. That is a T. jacksonii jacksonii, there is absolutely no question about it.

Chris

Chris,

As I am nowhere near as experienced with chameleons as you are, I take this as an opportunity to learn something. What are the distiguishing characteristics of the pictured cham that led you to this conclusion?

I have Merus and they are smaller with a yellowhead.My males have 3 horns the females have one horn.I'm pretty sure that's typical for Jacksons the females will either have one horn or no horns.So you have a male.I can't see in the picture if there is yellow or blue coloring along the flank if there is I would say Jacksonii Jacksonii.

I'm pretty sure that's typical for Jacksons the females will either have one horn or no horns. So you have a male.

You are incorrect for this species.

"The nominate subspecies, T. j. jacksonii, has the widest natural range but is, perhaps ironically, the most rare and under-represented subspecies in herpetoculture. Males have three very robust, annulated horns and females, even from within the same population, may have either one rostral or all three horns (although they are not as strongly developed as in males)." http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulManchen.html

I guess I should have looked at that bluebeast link before posting my comment.Apparently female Jacksonii Jacksonii can have three horns.Live and learn.

My female xanth has three horns as well. Her occular horns aren't nearly as developed as her rostal, and they seem to have ceased growth at approximetly a year old.

Chris,

As I am nowhere near as experienced with chameleons as you are, I take this as an opportunity to learn something. What are the distiguishing characteristics of the pictured cham that led you to this conclusion?

A lot of it really comes down to having seen hundreds of each in person and in photos. The coloration of the crests on the head and around the horns in T. j. xantholophus is typically lighter in color than in T. j. jacksonii. T. j. xantholophus typically is a solid green color or patterned with a series of broken diamonds down the length of the body while the solid, light colored line down the flank is more indicative to T. j. jacksonii.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom