Is there primarily orange veiled chameleons?

herpluva

Wondering if there are veileds that are mostly orange with green spots and yellow stripes? Just curious??

I have a male veiled bought from Mike (FLChams)..... almost Orange when fired up :D. I wonder if Mike still have some of the picture and he could post it here too. Hopefully I can breed him with another Orange base female.

Both picture are taken when he is at rest:

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

I am asking because my new guy I got has worried me with is coloration and I thought it might be because something was wrong. He was a little dehydrated but is not anymore. He has always been solid brown but just shed and he is solid orange with a brown tint and with green spots. When he is fired up I can see yellow in the stripes but he is solid orange most of the time. He is super bright orange in the cracks of his skin but he also has lime green spots.
That is a beautiful male you just put up there.
I wish my guy would let me hold him but he jumps on his branch like a pissed off monkey and will lunge me. I did not realize male veileds were that aggressive. He is that way most of the morning and chills a little in the late afternoon.

How old is your male veiled? Veiled Chameleon usually don't show adult coloration after 6 months of age or maybe more. I have a 5 months old male veiled... always brown/orange in color. Sometimes it will show some blue spot and yellow stripe.

He is suppose to be almost three months old but is really large and was told he looks more around six plus months? Maybe you can tell....
000_0005-4.jpg

000_0006-5.jpg

He just shed and I did not get a picture yet so these pics he is a little more brown than he is now but the same size.

He is still young....maybe 4-5 months old... I am not sure i need a size indicator. Veiled grows depends on food intake...more food they grow super fast. He is still in his young coloration. A few more shed he will show his true color.

Thanks so much for some real answers. I have asked several people and they just say they have never seen one his color before and thought it might be a illness.
I backed him off his food some in case he is growing to fast but he has to be big to match that personality of his. His name is "Tarzan" because he is definitely king of his jungle.
Glad to hear he will not stay this color. I think its ugly but love him just the same.
I have always seen variations of pale greens at this age.

Is there any harm in over feeding? My male veiled is 10.9 grams and eats between 10-18 2 week crix a day.

Yeah my guy was eating about 20 2week crix a day. I have since cut him back to about 5 crix and 2 worms. He does not seem as plump to me but if it is better for him then I will do it.

I think I read somewhere that you should not overfeed your cham. I think that the amount you feed depends on the age of cham and the size of the feeder. My Veiled eats 15-20 pinheads a day and on the days I feed him silkies he gets 3-4 small silkies and 8-10 pinheads. Right now he would rather have crickets(he loves those damm things). I am going to try another feeder since I have finally got him use to cup for feeding.

herpluva...I love the color of your chameleon! I've never seen a male that color before although I have seen females that are not green.

Chamero said..."Is there any harm in over feeding?"....over feeding/power feeding can lead to constipation. It seems to shorten their lives too. (Please pay attention to the word "over"...babies will of course need more food than adults....but there is has to be a limit.) I prefer to grow my chameleons more slowly than most do...but that's just my way!

He is suppose to be almost three months old but is really large and was told he looks more around six plus months? Maybe you can tell....
000_0005-4.jpg

000_0006-5.jpg

He just shed and I did not get a picture yet so these pics he is a little more brown than he is now but the same size.

hey herpluva.. i bet your chameleon is the case of an ugly duckling.
You never know that later on he just might be turned out to be a PANTHER!!!
:D just kidding lol..

But, seriously though, who knows that he will turned out to be absolutely gorgeous in the end.. everybody seen turquoise and yellows..
but never orange.. maybe later on some reds might come out.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a really pissy attitude. When I first got this one about a month ago he was 4 months and would repeatedly bite. He would come of his perch and bite every time I opened the door to feed him. Hissed, spit, puffed up. He would have cussed me if he had the ability! I worked with him for several weeks and he is much better now.

waiting for my 2 orange veileds to arrive. my birthday is may 10, so happy birthay to me. yeah !!! send prayers and any good wishs. they are just babies.

waiting for my 2 orange veileds to arrive. my birthday is may 10, so happy birthay to me. yeah !!! send prayers and any good wishs. they are just babies.
Be aware that they will not come looking just like the pictures of their parents or other chams. Flchams shows pictures of what they could look like and many people are confused when they look different. If you dont have pictures of the exact chameleon your getting, be prepared for slight differences.

Back
Top Bottom