Is there anything other than crickets I can feed my chameleon?

nick27

I have a veiled chameleon and i was wondering if there is anything else i can feed him besides crickets?

Yes!

...and its recommended that you do.;)

Crickets are considered a "staple feeder"
That is, they can make up a large portion/all of the animals diet.

I have heard many people recommend using 3 main staple feeders.

Roaches(there are all types that you can keep for feeders)
Silkworms.
Crickets.

(crickets and roaches should be gutloaded properly, even more so important if you are just using one feeder)

These are your 3 main feeders, that are healthy enough to be considered "staples".

Hornworms are a nutritious worm, but are mostly water.
(good for hydration)

Butterworms
superworms/mealworms
waxworms
Are considered "treats"(highfat/non-nutritious)

mantids
flies
bees
moths
and others can all be fed off.

There is tons more info on feeders here than I could provide you with, just search around;)

i currently use crickets and roaches as staples and keep, butterworms, waxworms, hornworms, superworms, silkworms, and mealworms around to mix it up and use as treats :)

well you see. you gotta take them with you to burger king. they will usually eat a number one but minus the onions they don't like the way the feel on their tongue, but now your going to have to force feed them because they don't like the way the new fries are oh and don't forgot the chocolate milkshake!!!:)

but all seriousness i usually do crickets, i did have some dubia roaches but come to find out none of my four chameleons liked them so i have them just hanging out, but then you have your regular worms that people suggested the silks, horns,wax, and etc some also try other stuff ilke moths and mantis. there is a lot of variety for them :)

Check out the sponsors section of the forum and find one closest to you to save on shipping! Also research on each feeder you plan on having keeping so you can be successful raising them as well

I am new to the Chameleon world and I have a chameleon about 3 or 4 months old. I feed her about 7 loaded crickets a day. She still seems hungry. I am having a hard time getting her to drink though I have tried misting and the dripper. I think she drinks some but not enough. Do you have any suggestions? As far as foods or something.

Thank You

I won't comment on the feeding of females as I only have a male, but your chameleon might be drinking when you're not around. They can be shy about that kind of thing. You can feed a small hornworm every once in a while to boost hydration levels if you're really worried. If the urate (white part of the poop) is yellow or orange then start to worry about it a bit more.

I am new to the Chameleon world and I have a chameleon about 3 or 4 months old. I feed her about 7 loaded crickets a day. She still seems hungry. I am having a hard time getting her to drink though I have tried misting and the dripper. I think she drinks some but not enough. Do you have any suggestions? As far as foods or something.

Thank You
You should be feeding a four month old about 10-13 crickets daily hornworms are great for hydration

Back
Top Bottom