Introduction of a noobie

Rosco

Hey everyone, my name is mike and I'm from San Dimas California. I'm currently in the process of moving into my first place and I won't be able to bring my dog so I need a companion of somekind. I have a co-worker that has had a bunch of chameleons and has now got me hooked. I've done alot of research on the animal and got all the basics covered and somemore. I haven't bought anything so far except a combo fixture. I just wanted to say hello and let you know my current chameleon situation.

Welcome to the forums! There are over 200 species of chameleons. What species were you thinking about getting?

Welcome. Actually, I would return the combo dome and get a single and a hood fixture, you'll want to use a regular house bulb for heat and a linear Reptisun or Reptiglow uvb bulb. Some compact uvb can be bad for their eyes.

Welcome to the forums! There are over 200 species of chameleons. What species were you thinking about getting?

I was originally considering only a veiled male because their hardy, but now I'm also open minded to a panther. Im planning on going to the reptile expo in Vegas in may to purchase my Cham. My fixture uses 2 halogen style bulbs and one florescent. It's the r zilla desert series 50 combo fixture. Are those style bulbs unhealthy for a Cham ?

welcome if your thinking about a panther you have to go to screameleons .com the breeder vincent is one of if not the best to consult on all matters panther chameleons... hes really nice and will email back unlike a lot of breeders. welcome again.

I'm going to the reptile expo in Vegas during May. I've heard that you can get very nice chameleons, like panthers for much cheaper than retail prices online. Price will be the recording factor for me on which breed i get. I was wondering who has been to an expo and can vouch for this.

Hello Rosco, welcome to the forum. A noobie but not dumb, you posted in the correct area the very first time you posted, good job!

If you have a friend with chams why not buy from him? Going to the Vegas show should be fun. If you want info, one of our sponsors is in vegas and will have a booth at that show. Tiki Tiki reptiles (Chad New) send him a pm and he can offer ideas.

I always consider veileds to be bulletproof with a decent care routine. panthers are pretty close to that also. Mostly just a personal choice. Go into the enclosure part of the form and you will see tons on setting up a great home for your new guy.

Hello Rosco, welcome to the forum. A noobie but not dumb, you posted in the correct area the very first time you posted, good job!

If you have a friend with chams why not buy from him? Going to the Vegas show should be fun. If you want info, one of our sponsors is in vegas and will have a booth at that show. Tiki Tiki reptiles (Chad New) send him a pm and he can offer ideas.

I always consider veileds to be bulletproof with a decent care routine. panthers are pretty close to that also. Mostly just a personal choice. Go into the enclosure part of the form and you will see tons on setting up a great home for your new guy.

Thanks Laurie, sorry if I confused you but my friend had some a few months ago, hes helping with some guidance. I have a important question on habitats. At expos, are enclosures and all the necessities with them cheaper there? Or are they roughly the same price than online. Thanks for all the feedback.

One of our sponsors LLL reptile will be there. They have the best prices in the industry (imo) they will pretty much have everything you need. Some vendors mark stuff up but LLL does not do that.

Sorry about thinking your friend had chams now. Also I know from San Dimas if is a hike but The South Bay Keepers Club will be meeting tonight in LA. You can not only get to meet a lot of other cham people but you may be able to hook up with a cham, feeder, and who knows what else. Very worth the drive.

I pm'ed you the info.

Thanks for the info, but it says it's next Tuesday or did it get changed. I will definatly need to check this out.

Back
Top Bottom