info on the the giant 3 horned

wow

i was wondering the care needed to give to 1 of these guys. i also want to now if they are a good first time chameleon or should i go with something more comon like a veiled or panther

Wow,
I assume we are talking about Chamaeleo (Trioceros) deremensis. These guys are great. I feel they are likely one of the best first montane chameleons for a keeper, but probably not the best "first" chameleon. They are very hardy if provided the proper environmental parameters. They are sedentary and laid back much like C. p. parsonii. Also, like parsonii, they seem to love water and need much more than some other species. Likely one of the most important parameters to be maintained is temperature. Deremensis need cool day time temps ~75-78 and to be provided an ~10 degree drop at night. I try and max mine out at 78 and get it down to 67 or so at night.

There is some good info here AdCham Deremensis Profile

I would stay away from WC as they tend to come in riddled with parasites. I believe Mike at FlChams has CH offspring from two unrelated clutches available now. FlChams

Have fun!

hey thanks i have been reaseraching these guys for some time they are my favorite type of chameleon but i dont think i could have 1 becase i live near buffalo and we experiance temps from freezing to 96 but thanks for the info

Out side temp is not as relavent as the micro climate inside that cage. No matter what cham you get and what your environment is you will still need to provide the micro climate that the cham needs. This can be accomplished through many diffrent things, some being: UVB Lighting(A MUST), Basking lamp, mist systems, Humidifyers, A/C Units, etc.

Frank

thanks but it is really hard to keep the humidity up in a room when there is an ac on and in the winter i often get crakked lips its so dry any suggestions

Just for temptation sake here are a few pics of the CH deremensis I recieved from Mike a while back.

IMG_3910.jpg

IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg

wow said:
thanks but it is really hard to keep the humidity up in a room when there is an ac on and in the winter i often get crakked lips its so dry any suggestions

You could run a room humidifier. Fairly inexpensive at any retail store.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom