Incubation eggs, heat problem

Lleroy

My incubator started to leak Tuesday, so I had to take out my egg containers and fix the incubator with silicone sealer. Because of it being winter here currently I had to place a blow-heater on the egg-containers while I fixed the incubation tank. Temperatures seemed stable with the blow-heater on the egg-containers. One hour later I noticed that the temperature inside the egg-containers has gone up to 98'F/42’C! I immediately took the heater off the containers and placed them back into the incubator. Temperatures went back to 80'F/27'C. I opened the incubator egg-containers today and saw the following development on the eggs, they seem to have a clear slime substance on top and part of the whites on the egg has gone a light yellow. Have I lost the eggs? They have been incubating for 3months now. I really don’t want to loose them. Why do they look like this and have they gone bad because of the sudden extreme heat increase?

Attachments

• eggs3.jpg
    eggs3.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 175
  • eggs2.jpg
    eggs2.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 119
  • eggs6.jpg
    eggs6.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 134
  • eggs9.jpg
    eggs9.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 155
Here are some more images...

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 188
  • eggs5.jpg
    eggs5.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 139
  • eggs7.jpg
    eggs7.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 128
My other eggs inside the other containers seem fine, although their temperatures also went up to 98F/42C. They have been incubating for 4months. Here are some images of them...

Attachments

• eggs10_others.jpg
    eggs10_others.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 160
  • eggs11_others.jpg
    eggs11_others.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 115
  • eggs12_others.jpg
    eggs12_others.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 113
Have they gone bad? With a temperature increase from 75F - 98F for an hour?
They were white up until yesterday.

Hi the first lot of eggs look way past saving to me im afraid,also all of them incuding the second batch,look very yellow(could be substrate staining i guess) i would try to improve this in the future,and use a little more calcium when the female becomes gravid all the way to the end.

Good luck with the remaining eggs.

Regards
Luke

Do you have a LED light you can candle them with to see anything? I think I would wait until they shriveled before I gave up on them. Humidity and fresh air are all okay?

I would keep them until they shrivel. Yellow does not always indicate they are bad. what kind of cham eggs? As stated above you can keep an eye on them to see if they have in deed died. If they are fertile they will have veins. As they die the veins will thin out and decrease in the egg.
I would like to add if they were white and have gone yellow due to the extreme temp change they might have infact died, but I would not give up on them yet...

not happy to hear that I might have lost them. i didnt want to face the truth. dont want to move them to check for vains just yet. i thought if an egg is infertile it shrivels up in a week or so after being layed?

Infertile eggs generally yellow and become obvious Lroy, shriveling up suggest lack of humidity to me though.
Infertile eggs, (or cooked eggs) can also remain normal looking for quite some time, even the entire period!
If they dont go grossly yuck (are they all touching other eggs?) then dont toss them,
if they dont hatch, you havent lost more than you may have anyway.
Sometimes nature blows us a rasberry and surprises us.

The sudden increase in heat may have destroyed some but not all, not all hope is lost yet and there is some time to go.
Best wishes :)

P.S Id be very intrested in any data you could provide, and im sure it would prove useful to others aswell, regards the sex ratio of any survivers, post hatch mortality, any deformaties or anything else unexpected you may find, and ofcourse likewise, if survivers are normal.
cheers

Last edited:
Hello! I hope Lleroy can answer because it's an old discussion. I got the same problem today, after 9 months of incubation ( I was execting them to born any time ), my incubator just decided to break down and my temps inside the container went to 115 for at least 2 - 3 hours. I'm really worried and hope they didn't die. So I'm curious about your eggs Lleroy, could they hatch?

Back
Top Bottom