in a fix

evertech11

New Member
i feed mainly mealworms. the supplements i use dont stick as well to the worms as they do to the crickets, and i only feed crickets every 4-5 days. is there an alternative so that carlos still gets his calcium+supplements without my spending of extra money on crickets.
 
Why are you skimping on feeders anyway? Your chameleon is only as good as what you feed it. In my opinion meal worms are a horrible feeder and there are very few reasons to use them as feeders.
 

evertech11

New Member
Skimping? like money, or what? he eats 20 mealworms a day, that's not good? when i feed him large crickets he eats 6. that's bad?
 
Last edited:
You said you didn't want to pay the extra money for crickets. Skimping. Crickets are a much better feeder than mealworms.

I didn't mean in quantity.
 

evertech11

New Member
carlos loves his mealworms and they're cheap so i use them. crickets are 1.75 a dozen if carlos eats around a dozen of the large crickets every two days that's like 5.00 a week versus .50 a week.i have a yearly income of like 200 dollars dont blame me, i think of it as saving. i just dont know how i'm supposed to substitute for the lost minerals and calcium.
 
No offense Kevin, but who said chameleons were cheap to keep?

Secondly, for hard shelled worms, or for powders that don't stick well like 'Repcal Herptivite', if you pick out the worms from the substrate and give them a single mist, then add your powder, it sticks much better.
 

ChameleonsTree

New Member
evertech11 said:
carlos loves his mealworms and they're cheap so i use them. crickets are 1.75 a dozen if carlos eats around a dozen of the large crickets every two days that's like 5.00 a week versus .50 a week.i have a yearly income of like 200 dollars dont blame me, i think of it as saving. i just dont know how i'm supposed to substitute for the lost minerals and calcium.
you need to order crickets from a distributor...personally i use millbrook crickets...this will save you a lot of money.
If you order 1000 at a time it's only 18 dollars and that includes shipping
 

evertech11

New Member
i've never tried spraying thanks Will. i'm not currently the one taking care of carlos so i'll have to see what can be done. do you know where i could get a chart showing the different nutritional values for different feeders i cant find one. i think i might start ordering crickets online 500 for 10.00! i'll just need to set up a lemonade stand. lol:D
 

Prism Chameleons

Established Member
www.reptilefood.com sells crickets 1000 for $10.00, 500 for $8.00. I think you can buy 250 crickets as well for even a lower price. If you buy them smaller, you can keep them for quite a while before they die. I buy my crickets at the 7/8" size (pre-wing) and they live quite a while given the right nutrients (gutload and vegetables) and keeping their container clean.

They are much more nutritious than meal worms. :)
 

ChameleonsTree

New Member
Prism Chameleons said:
www.reptilefood.com sells crickets 1000 for $10.00, 500 for $8.00. I think you can buy 250 crickets as well for even a lower price. If you buy them smaller, you can keep them for quite a while before they die. I buy my crickets at the 7/8" size (pre-wing) and they live quite a while given the right nutrients (gutload and vegetables) and keeping their container clean.

They are much more nutritious than meal worms. :)
ok i just found a new distributor...saves me 6 bucks each order
 

evertech11

New Member
i know that one distribitor has a program where they send your choice in quantity, and in size every two weeks for six weeks, but i can't find the site again. help!?
 

Frank Castle

New Member
evertech11 said:
i know that one distribitor has a program where they send your choice in quantity, and in size every two weeks for six weeks, but i can't find the site again. help!?
http://www.premiumcrickets.com/

I Ordered the Cricket Contract, Every other Tuesday or Wednesday I get 150 1/2" Crickets like clock work. I love it. It is a 6 Delivery contract. I would recomend them.

Frank
 

evertech11

New Member
that's the one! for some reason i cant access their cricket contracts page right now, but that's probably what i will do. thanks Frank
 

Frank Castle

New Member
evertech11 said:
that's the one! for some reason i cant access their cricket contracts page right now, but that's probably what i will do. thanks Frank
I just visited the site and this is what was posted on their "Contract" Page.

"Six Shipments of crickets - Shipping is included in the price - you pick the size and quantity.

Because of the change in shipping policy with the United States Post Office, this program is on temporary hold. Once we negotiate a contract with DHL, we will resume the program.

We appreciate your patience and understanding."

I remember reading a post not to long ago about the post office changing their shipping of Live insects. But I dont have any details of it.

Frank
 
Top Bottom