Impatiens

addicted

Established Member
I read on a couple other chameleon sites that Impatiens are safe to use in a chameleon set-up, however I don't see them listed in the 'Live Plants' resource on this site.
Has anyone ever used these before, any thoughts?
Just in case you're not sure what these are, here's a picture
feg_impatiens.jpg

From my research..you can use any plant that is not toxic (and you should consider the light levels for the plant - partial sun plants will probably die under the uvb all day - and that your cham may eat the flowers...or bite them off and kill them like mine.)

I looked up impatiens. They are toxic.
http://www.sniksnak.com/plants-toxic.html

Edit: I noticed pothos (devils ivy) is on the list too so maybe they can be used anyway?? hmmm...

Edit: I noticed pothos (devils ivy) is on the list too so maybe they can be used anyway?? hmmm...

good call! I've read in other places as well that all Ivy is toxic but then Pothos is highly recommended here. *confused*

I think they're listing all plants that are in the slightest way toxic, I've read on another page (can't remember where, of coarse!) that Pothos can be slightly toxic if very large amounts are ingested. I want to give them a try even though they are a partial shade plant. I've always kept them in shade gardens but I see some people in my nieghbourhood keeping them in full sun gardens and they seem to do alright...pluss at 4 plants for a dollar, won't be that much of a loss if they get destroyed by either too much light or my chameleon taking a little munch. Mostly I just wanted to add a little colour to his life, other then green!

I use them in my walk in enclosures for nice added color. Native to Madagascar
Native to Madagascar, I didn't know that...I have a Panther so they'll fit right in! You learn something new everyday...actually on this forum, I learn about 30 new things everyday!!:D

You could also try African Violets, they might be hardier and come in a lot of colors for cheap (I don't know if you have Produce Junction there??). I really like the hibiscus blooms too, if you can keep them alive from your cham. Mine just walks around snipping the buds off. I bought a little one today from Whole Foods, poked some holes in it, and suspended it from the ceiling of her screen cage...we shall see how long the flowers last.

I also want to add an orchid or two to my chams cage. I haven't decided yet if it is worth sacrificing those rare blooms for her biting amusement but they would look really cool. Orchids often grow on trees and can be mounted in terrariums of slabs of rock or bark in the air. Dendrobiums and oncidiums I know so far are safe to use.

I use the impatient flowers regularily with my bearded dragons and tortoises without any problems. I don't see why a chameleon couldn't couldn't eat it as well.

That's very good news! I can't wait to liven up his home now! The inly reason I wouldn't use african violets, is that they don't do very well if their leaves are constantly getting wet, I've tried keeping them a few times and they always died on me. So I asked the lady in the floral shop and she told me not get the leaves wet (there's my problem, I was misting them!) but to just add water to the saucer and let the plant soak up as much as it wants. I've been doing this with the new one I got a couple months ago and it's doing great this time.

I do want to add orchids (they're so pretty!) once he's into his larger flexarium, right now he's in a smaller terrarium for the next month or so.

Back
Top Bottom