IM NEW HERE... looking for help with meller's not drinking...pics below

rodielin

I purchased and received a 18" mellers chameleon on last friday just over week ago 03-09-12.

He dranks well for about 15 min on saturday and ate 3 very large silkworms. Since then hes been eating well mostly on crickets about 15 or more a day. dusted.

He gets misted and theres 4 heads misting system from pro mist 60. One session is usually in morning for about 20-or so min. I also did about 2 other 5 min sessions. He has a humidifier that as of last day or so i have turned off since i would be increasing as much as possible water on him (i pump over with pump bottle not spray warm water once or twice a day... he likes alot doesnt drink though).

He has been vet checked and stool sample is neg. Im going to still be sending in some in near future it was recommended. He also has two of his feet cut but healing well not bad at all (they get them from being pulled off tree when being caught).. he doesnt seem to know... vet gave me bedtadine and silver cream. There not swollen at all. But he is shedding on his feet so i do used meds.

I have a mercury bulb on one back corner of cage 160w mercury uvb bulb. He uses now and then. I have ceramic heater on another corner for when light is out. both light and ceramic heater are on timers. ceramic is on thermostat.

This mellers chameleon appears to me (not experienced) to be in very good health. I heard i could post pictures here so going to try. Hes got very relaxed personality but not a sickly closing eyes one . He does not run and hide like i said he will eat from tweezers He likes for some reason to stay right in front on cage on a branch where i work on his feet, tweezer feed and also warm water I pump everyday over him .. he sits and seems to enjoy. If I turn misters on he avoids them and goes to sides or area that does not get mist in cage. So the only really direct misting is from me pumping over him which he likes. He only once inadvertanly opened mouth and that was on wed where i pumped some water in. On monday before that I got 2 ml of pedelyte in mouth while he chewed on silkworm.

The first three days i had him he ate 3 large silkworms a day 2-1/2inches each. He drank only one day on last sat 03-10-12

Ok im going to try to attach pictures. The camera makes his color brighter with flash but also his skin is dull. He has shed his feet and looks like he has clean socks on. I think hes going to shed all over soon feet are almost done. Im not good with computers so hopfully pics are here. ok i see them here little small. mellers03-17.jpg

mellers03-17-2.jpg

mellers03-17-3.jpg

mellers03-17-4.jpg

Im sorry if i put too much on just figured you needed whole picture

thanks for anyones help jim

Well, I dont know much about mellers but ive heard that ceramic heaters are no nos because they can overheat from them. People here dont use mercury vapor bulbs that ive heard of because they are very strong. Again, im no mellers expert

hey welcome to the forums. sounds like you are givin him all the water he could want, it is possible you just arnt seeing him drink. i just saw my panther drink for the first time in a year today. i just watch the urate and for signs of dehydration.
i dont know much about mellers but i think that they require slightly lower temps than a veiled or panther. the 160w mv may be a bit hott if it is close. and unless your ambient temps get below 60 at night, you wont need to proivide any heat.
haveing a night temp drop is perfered.
try to fill this out as accuralty as possible and we can take a look and see if there is possibly any areas that can be improved.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
also member Laurie has 2 mellers and is a great keeper i would maybe shoot her a pm, as she is always willing to help.
again welcome!!!!
hoj

Hi. You guy looks pretty good!! I'm sure he's wild caught so you are doing well with plenty of misting and watering.

Melleri do like a very warm basking area and he should also have a cooler area. Mine like to bask in the morning and then move to cooler temps for most of the day. I do not use a heater at night ... granted I am in Southern Cali ... even with temps into the 50s at night I would not use the heater.

Keep watching his feet and using the meds. Melleri are prone to getting infections in their feet from the cuts and broken nails. I know this as I have dealt with it a few times. Keeping his feet clean and using the silvadene cream now can save you and him a lot of trouble.

What type/size cage are you keeping him in? They need a lot of room!

Thanks so much everyone for help.. any other suggestions wellcome

Im not good with computers and this is my second group ive joined this is amazing and so much help. I just sent laurie a message as recommended. I did watch closely as someone said he may be getting a little water in through nostrils and i think someone else here also mentioned not seeing his chameleon drinking. I didnt noticed when pumping water over him tonight he would swallow now and then and sometimes put head up to swallow so i didnt too much in his face. He loves his spa pump spraying a little too much though. I need him to do with misters ive set up and he definitly wont drink he walks right away to edge of cage where the misting heads are not. Ive even warmed water.

I will be giving you all the details you mentioned i need to tell you so you can help me in morning.

heres some pics of his pump spraying

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• mellers03-17-5.jpg
    mellers03-17-5.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 76
  • mellers03-17-6.jpg
    mellers03-17-6.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 109
  • mellers03-17-7.jpg
    mellers03-17-7.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 55
The photoprincess, who posted above, knows what she is talking about. She has 7 mellers and is wonderful with their care. i have answered your pm so hopefully we have you covered.

The photoprincess, who posted above, knows what she is talking about. She has 7 mellers and is wonderful with their care. i have answered your pm so hopefully we have you covered.

Thanks Laurie - I sent him a PM as well. (and it's 8 now ... but who's counting? ;-)

Thanks Laurie - I sent him a PM as well. (and it's 8 now ... but who's counting? ;-)

No thanks required, you are a great keeper, as I know first hand.:D You would be an ever better keeper if you only had 7 so how about butters come for a long play date?
I just got home & I wrote a book to Jim, plus attached the melleri Discovery link. We will help this new buddy won't we?

No thanks required, you are a great keeper, as I know first hand.:D You would be an ever better keeper if you only had 7 so how about butters come for a long play date?
I just got home & I wrote a book to Jim, plus attached the melleri Discovery link. We will help this new buddy won't we?

Of course we will help him!! Then he'll be addicted just like the rest of us!!

Butters is so grumpy lately. Funny how our only CB melleri is the only one who dislikes us! The only time he likes us is feeding time - that brat! (I still won't part with him though ... )

Thanks for all the help everyone .. its really helped

Thanks everyone who pitched in especially laurie and thephotoprincess.

I finally think hes going to be fine. Im going to have to adjust for now and do my hand pump with warm water lol. Im hoping to get him to accept spray bottle and maybe get him onto using my automatic misters one day.

I feel much better at least hes drinking between the crack of his lips and eating well. Im going to try britta filter which someone as well mentioned I believe karen? incase its my city water is a problem.

Its really nice to have all your support.

Pic is of him waiting for his spa shower today in front door

mellers03-19.jpg

jim

Back
Top Bottom