Ideas for cage

jeep guy

I’m just looking for some opinions on this idea for a cage since this is my first chameleon and will be the first cage I will make. I have a panther chameleon that I’m unsure of what local he is since he hasn’t shown his colors much yet. I’m going to make a cage that’s 3Lx2dx4h and that’s in feet, I want to make the cage as natural as I can so I was planning on making the bottom bit with a pond type liner with a drain in the bottom, with a bucket under to catch any extra water. I want to basically make the bottom a planter that I can take all of the plants out of pots and put them just in the dirt. I’m just wondering if this sounds like a good idea? I just don’t like having a bunch of plants in pots in the bottom of the cage. I was also thinking of making the back wall solid and making a foam/ covered formed area with dishes for food, and branches formed in, and things that I have seen some ideas for on this site. So if you have any advice or ideas that you would put into a cage if you were going to make one or make another one, or things that you like about the cage you have now please let me know.

hey! im a jeep owner as well. as far as your cage goes. use the KISS method. keep it simple stupid. all the water could present a problem with root rot and flies. so i wouldnt put any substrate at all. and a cage that size is a little big for that size cham. potted plants are great just move them to a bigger pot before placing them in a cage. i would also worry about the styrofoam flaking and you cham ingesting it causing impaction. i keep two plants in my cage with a kitty litter box with screen over it as a watter catch. i also have two feeding cups. hope this helps.

i problay wont have this cage done and ready for him for a while so by then he should be biger, also you think he will eat a background if its coverd not just bair foam ? also what type and size of screen are you using ? and last how big of a cage are you using ?

Will Hayward's enclosures are similar to what you are thinking of.
Perhaps you could pm him, or look up old threads or posts of his where he has posted pictures of his enclosures.

-Brad

I was also thinking of making the back wall solid and making a foam/ covered formed area with dishes for food, and branches formed in, and things that I have seen some ideas for on this site.

I did this idea also and ran into some problems. When you add the spots for the feeding dishes in the Foam backdrop be sure to make drainage for them. Mine looked really great until I started misting and they fill up with water and was a pain in the neck to dry out everyday. Plus the bacteria from standing water can be unhealthy. Just something for you to consider.

Back
Top Bottom