I wish I'd just gone to the vet!!

enigmacell

Hi, my Pather Chameleon (Razor) had to be put to sleep yesterday. He was only 3 and a half but got a prolapsed bowel. I tried to treat it with tamodine, warm sugar baths etc for 4 days. I only brought him to the vet when his eyes started to sink in. I really wish I had brought him to the vet on the very first day. I had been selfish thinking how much the vet was going to cost. By the time I saw sense it was too late. The vet told me his bowel looked infected and he was very dehydrated. It cost me €144 for xray consultation and overnight treatment. I made a little coffin and buried him today. I get paid again tomorrow and it feels horrible knowing that all the money in the world can't bring him back but if I'd just spent maybe€300 on the first day he'd still be here today.:(

I just want anyone who is thinking of putting off a vet bill and hoping for the best...DON'T!!
You will regret it and hate yourself for it. I know I do.

Hi, my Pather Chameleon (Razor) had to be put to sleep yesterday. He was only 3 and a half but got a prolapsed bowel. I tried to treat it with tamodine, warm sugar baths etc for 4 days. I only brought him to the vet when his eyes started to sink in. I really wish I had brought him to the vet on the very first day. I had been selfish thinking how much the vet was going to cost. By the time I saw sense it was too late. The vet told me his bowel looked infected and he was very dehydrated. It cost me €144 for xray consultation and overnight treatment. I made a little coffin and buried him today. I get paid again tomorrow and it feels horrible knowing that all the money in the world can't bring him back but if I'd just spent maybe€300 on the first day he'd still be here today.:(

I just want anyone who is thinking of putting off a vet bill and hoping for the best...DON'T!!
You will regret it and hate yourself for it. I know I do.

Very sad, at least you learned from it. I wish you the best with your future chameleons and hope they are as happy as he probably was. Sorry for your loss.

I'm very sorry, at least you've taken away something quite important from this experience!

I am so sorry for your loss of Razor. These precious animals have a way of getting right into our hearts. You should do a memorial for him in the memorial section here. Don't beat yourself up too bad. I rushed my girl to the vet the moment she prolapsed and I still lost her a month and a half later due to complications. https://www.chameleonforums.com/elly-memorial-76255/

Last edited:
Thanx. Believe me I have. I found my thermometer was reading 5 degrees celsius lower than what it actually was :mad: and also from his xray saw he could have done with more cacium supplements. His hands were fainter than the rest of his bones. Bottom line is a reptile vet should be sourced before anyone buys a Cham.

I've moved my juvenile female Cham (Tahlula) into his cage now but really miss Razor being in there. What I'd give to be able to get him back. :(

Wow. So sorry to hear this! That's a tough lesson to learn and it'll only make you more savvy in your future endeavors. Chin up!

Don't hate yourself :). It is a great shame, but not worth making yourself feel worse about a bad situation.

Thank you for giving us this reminder.

Sorry to hear you lost your chameleon and thanks for sharing your story as I think it can teach us that sometimes maybe we should not play doctor. I think we are all guilty of it at some point with some pet as we think our home remedies will be a cure. Again sorry for your loss.:(

So sorry for the loss of Razor? Your sad experience will make you a better Cham owner in the future. Sometimes it's difficult to know when to visit the vet when money is tight but if there is a next time you will know.

Back
Top Bottom