I need some advice

okiroo

Avid Member
I recused a young bull frog over a month ago- found it in cat water dish. i took it out and put it in the yard. the next day it got back in the dish so i tok it inside and fed it untill it rained (i assumed it was going there beacuse it didnt have anywhere else to go) i let it go dureing a 3 day rain.WELL it came back again but this time a cat got it, it was also dried out. i thought was done for but it put it in water waited two days(it was still alive) and then started feeding it. it has now been eating and doing fine for weeks. i dont really want a bull frog but it keeps coming back when i let it go :confused: im scared next time it might just get killed. what should i do? it doesnt even like me, hides every time i come in the room under water. lol.

if i must keep it to save it. someone please help me with how to care for it. TBH i've just been throwing in a single criket daily and dusting one with plain cal here and there. i have no idea to care for a bull frog and did not intend to have a new pet. :eek:

ps- i've saved a few frogs this year and always just let them out(they usually get in the pool filter where i keep a floating ball that they sit on untill i check it)

how im keeping the frog-

5gal tank with screen top(i know not gr8! but its alot of water soil and plants at the bottem, the frog is almost always in the water or moss) feed 1-2 crikets daily. sometimes dusted. i've fed it waxworms before. it may have eaten a moth, idk.

sorry for how long this is. :rolleyes:

They will eat you out of house and home :)

Id find a large body of water and let the little frog go. Kinda neat pet though. they get huge :)

A couple of things to consider before letting him go just anywhere:

Bullfrogs are invasive and prey on or outcompete other native frog species. He didn't come from very far away, so make sure you search for the closest likely pond (even someone's backyard fishpond) before dumping him into a native lake that may not have bullfrogs there already. You could cause a lot of problems that way. Also, bullfrogs carry chytrid fungus which is spreading all around the world. They are more resistant to the skin damage chytrid causes, so are considered carriers. It is another really good reason to be very careful where you release him.

Bullfrogs are invasive and prey on or outcompete other native frog species. He didn't come from very far away, so make sure you search for the closest likely pond (even someone's backyard fishpond) before dumping him into a native lake that may not have bullfrogs there already. You could cause a lot of problems that way. Also, bullfrogs carry chytrid fungus which is spreading all around the world. They are more resistant to the skin damage chytrid causes, so are considered carriers. It is another really good reason to be very careful where you release him.

:( that makes him sound bad. i still have him. bull frogs are everywhere down here so i doubt id take him somewhere where theres not a ton already. theres a stream nearby i was going to put him in. :) hope he doesnt come back!

After reading this is put a nice big tank outside or make a porch pond and keep him :) fyi noisest creature ever! Good luck :)

After reading this is put a nice big tank outside or make a porch pond and keep him :) fyi noisest creature ever! Good luck :)

lol, i like frog and criket sounds. helps me sleep. idk about a bull frog tho. very load and sudden. haha! they get to big and i'd have to get in a big place to stay. idk if i want a bath tub for a bull frog + weekly hop sessions so he doesnt get lazy legs.

I didnt realize this - I assumed this was a native frog
if not, if indeed invasive and causing harm, it should probably be killed.

Bullfrogs are native to parts of the US, but they have also spread to a huge area outside their native ranges either with the "help" of man or through poor wetland management. They are bigger and much more aggressive than most other native frogs and when introduced to a "new" pond they can and do eat or outcompete the others. They can even impact native turtle, other amphibian, and fish populations by preying on hatchlings, even some wetland birds.

What I really meant to suggest was to be careful where it is released...to try and put it where bullfrogs are already established if anywhere.

I didnt realize this - I assumed this was a native frog
if not, if indeed invasive and causing harm, it should probably be killed.

i would not/ could not kill this frog. if it would be better to keep it then i would.

Okiroo, this frog is part of your areas EXISTING ecology. ;)

then he should be fine going back where he came from. i see them everywhere around here and there are still lots of turtles and other frogs. people around here eat bull frogs actually :eek::(

Bullfrogs are native to parts of the US, but they have also spread to a huge area outside their native ranges either with the "help" of man or through poor wetland management. They are bigger and much more aggressive than most other native frogs and when introduced to a "new" pond they can and do eat or outcompete the others. They can even impact native turtle, other amphibian, and fish populations by preying on hatchlings, even some wetland birds.

What I really meant to suggest was to be careful where it is released...to try and put it where bullfrogs are already established if anywhere.

I understand. he's going back where all the other bull frogs live :)

thanks everyone. he's going into a nice stream to live a happy life :) your comments have helped allot on the correct thing to do with this froggy :)!

Back
Top Bottom