Humidity

Brain916

Established Member
In my new enclosure, (have not figured out a name) the basking area is around 28-30C with the Humidity fluctuates from 35% to 65% (when I spray) I need it to be at 50% correct (thats what I read somewhere)

Also I know a plant will help, I bough a Hisbucis (sp) and its been outside for the last 3 1/2 4 weeks getting natural sunlight. I am going to replant, but I read in the forum I should wait 6 weeks before putting it into the cage, any truth to this? Thanks!

What would waiting 6 weeks acomplish? Just curious..

With most store bought plants you just need to re-pot them in safe soil, wash it down with mild soap/water solution to remove any pesticide. And you should be good to go. Humidity can be raised with consistent misting, more natural plants or even sphangum moss. I have my mister going 4 times a day for 10 mins, and I hand mist once in the morning for 5-10 mins.

Some people have connected pvc pipes to humidifiers and then drilled holes in the pipe and layed it right over the cage. I believe you can find some picutres of this in the gallery.

There is something I saw at Pets Mart or Pets co that for $20 that does it.

I am going to pick it up in the next couple of days...but what should the Humidity be at 50% right?

and adding a live plant would bring up the percentage?

Yes, live plants help keep the humidity level up. The more plants you have, the easier it is to keep the humidity up. I also put black garbage bags on two of the sides of my cages. So 1- they can't see eachother, and 2- to help maintain the humidity level.

Yeah lining 2 or 3 sides of the cage really helps. I used clear shower curtain and lined all but the front side. Helps with over spray when misting and you can soak all the lining.

You can also make removable plexiglass panels for the sides and add/remove tem as necessary to adjust humidity levels throughout the seasons. Just be sure not to totally cut off airflow. A good way to do this is to drill holes in the panels, keep them on most of the time, and remove them periodically to ensure that the cage truly gets a chance to dry and air out.

Back
Top Bottom