Humidity

Yup I don't have him yet but I'm working on getting the temp and the humidity up before he comes

I would either get a cool mist humidifier or put up some plexi glass/ shower curtains on a few sides to help hold in the humidity

As a heads up - noticed you are in NY which means your humidity set up is going to change based on outdoor conditions. During summer you may be fine with just misting but use of air conditioning could cause levels to be lower or higher each day. During winter you'll find it difficult to keep levels at 50%. Spring and fall is a crap shoot.

I think it is best not to over think for humidity and simply have a good hygrometer, a well planted enclosure and a humidifier on stand-by. Check your humidity readings and use the humidifier as needed. You'll drive yourself nuts if you get things set up "perfect" now, to find out that what is now will not be the case as outdoor temperatures change.

Also, maintaining levels above 60% for extended ammounts of time is not always the best idea but this level can be used as a target. Some dry time is needed. Too high humidity for too long of a time period can result in microbial growth.

I totally agree with Rob and it really depends on where you live, too.

"Humidity is over-rated" (quote by the Chameleonaire himself, Mike M. at FL Chams...) I used to think he was nuts saying this and thought it was easy for him to say this because he lives in Florida (i.e. humidity). However, if you have proper supplementation, proper gutloading, proper caging, etc. AND proper hydration, you should be fine even with a little less humidity. For the last couple of years, I have been keeping my chams at around 50% (give or take) and have had no issues. So yes, it is over-rated. (Disclaimer: this is based on my experience with several species and based on cham keeping in Illinois only.....)

Back
Top Bottom