Humidity Destroying Walls

HPLH221

for those who have chams in there room how do u keep the humidity say 60% from destroying your room?

If you block 3 sides of the cage it keeps the humidity in the cage with still getting fresh air...outside the cage will usually be under 50% and you wont get mold from that.

I lined 3 sides of my enclosure with clear shower curtain. Top to bottom. It prevents over spray and helps lock in the humidity. I keep the top/bottom/front panes open.

ya but that doensnt look great i guess,i see pictures of peoples just being next to the wall. I guess alot of people dont even worry about it?,any ideas?

I wouldn't say it doesn't look great. Most people that see my setup dont even notice its there til I point it out. ;) With chams you often sacrafice appeal for functionality. Its more for the benefit of the animal than to appease your personal aesthetics. I'm sure if you searched these forums you would find all kinds of ideas.

Plexiglass can be used...you can use that grey product they use to line shower beds with...its actually pvc but it feels like a heavy vinyl. You could use vinyl siding. So many different things you can use that wont grow mold.

Take a look at my 2 cages. You can get the idea here but both cages have shower liner and they can not see each other. I live in a townhouse so I need to keep things on the up and up....My larger cage for Izzy 6.5 months old and Elwood 3 months old.

2000755958533182304_fs.jpg

You need to get some PVC pipe, and some PVC adapters, so you can make something like this...

542hbtc.jpg

That way, it'll direct your humidty flow.

I'm guessing like a 6 foot long peice of 2 inch diameter PVC, a 2" "T" and a 90 degree Peice.

I hope this helps! :)

PS. This would only cost you less then 10 bucks, as opposed to having to spend how-ever much on eventual paint repair to your wall, and it'll also keep the humidity in your room a little lower :)

I have thought about that BUT getting the pvc piping and having to clean that all out would be a pain every week. The last thing I need is bacteria growth in all the piping and all over the cage. I turn off the humidity at night to try an limit bacteria buildup and then have it on during the day. The humidifier is hooked up to the timer so it goes off at night and then I just turn it on in the morning...

Have you had any issues at all? From what others have said it can be a pain so I have never tried it.

Last edited:
Now that it’s getting colder out and I am starting to run the heat I am starting to leave the humidifier on all the time. My humidifier was purchased at bed bath and beyond for $99 and it works great. It has a vapr setting and humidity gauge that you can set so it would go on and off as needed.

I have to be honest here in that if humidity is affecting your walls then it typically means it’s to humid in the room your using it in. Your then getting condensation and the walls and room have no ventilation to circulate the air around. If you can't set the humidity level on the device itself you may want to get a new one. If you’re talking about spraying down the cage and its going all over the wall then put up shower liner so it drips down into a pan underneath the cages.

Unfortunately I do not think there is a good solution here but if you follow the ideas above you should only have better success.

You can also use Coroplast. It's available from sign shops (or sign shop supply houses for much less money), comes in a wide variety of colors, and is 100% waterproof.

i have to agree with geckoxp, you must have it super humid in that room. my grandmother used to live a half hour south of atlanta. every time we went for a visit it was 90% humidity. i found it oppressive, and wanted to find a cave to hide in. i guess old people dig heat and humidity. but she never had any moisture issues(at the time i was working as a house painter and would have noticed). but if i were you i would mount somthing to the wall. a couple of full sized sheets of plexi or somthing like that to protect the walls. that way your cage doesn't accumulate more unsightly hardware.
good luck! i'm curious to see how this gets resolved.

ok thanks for everthing i think i might have decided to go with a veiled ratther than a jackson so hopefully ill be ok

Back
Top Bottom