How to rig a feeding tube?

How to rig feeding tube for pygmy?

Here's the situation:

In a nut shell- I performed home surgery on the infected sinus of a Temporalis today. Sorry- no photos- I was home alone and only have so many hands. I have described the procedure below. My question is- concerning feeding. If he survives the surgery (he walked away from it, miraculously enough, and I just checked on him and he is still upright) how do I feed him without the food getting up into his sinus area? I would like to rig a feeding tube, perhaps using some kind of tube connected to a syringe. Have any of you done this?

The details:
We have a tiny temporalis, adult pygmy chameleon. He had a swollen area above the right side of his jaw, and a tiny "bubbled" looking area at his lip line. We had noticed this a few weeks ago, but my husband would not take a $25 chameleon to the vet. Please don't be critical of his decision. We take our other chameleons to the vet, even the WC guys, and we don't wait until they're at death's door. It's usually at the first sign of trouble, even if we're only imagining trouble. But this time my husband drew the line, and I supported his decision.

Anyway, that said, we had been treating him by dribbling a natural antibiotic into him. All this time he has been eating, pooping, walking all over, etc. But I knew in the back of my mind that the guy probably had a serious infection, and only opening it up and cleaning it out would help. Well, today I noticed the swollen area was now adjacent to his eye, and he was sitting around on the floor of his tank with his face pointed to the ground. So, I took him out and gently opened his mouth with a paper clip "speculum" to take a look. We have a set of head strap magnifiers that I wear to look at the tiny stuff. It allows my hands to stay free to work, and enables me to clearly see all the tissue layers. What I saw was horrible. From the roof of his mouth was coming yellow and black stuff. I could see I would need to clean this out right away, as I was afraid we were losing him. So I cleaned up some "instruments", paper clip, scissors, a tiny pin, tweezers, and sterilized using a match. I wedged open his mouth with the paper clip and used the end of the pin (not the sharp end put the "flat" end) to push the tissue away and scoop out the gunk. I used tiny manicure scissors to snip away black tissue. The gunk just kept coming. Several times when I thought I had it all, more came out. At the end I gently pressed on his face in a few areas to ease out the rest of it and clean it all out. I regret that I did not wash out the wound (didn't think of that til later). But I did smear thermazene (silvadene) up in there. He is now in his pygmy enclosure with a cover over it, resting. I just looked again, and his color is completely normal and he is upright. I didn't look closely enough to see if his eyes are open or closed.

I wish I had done this when we first noticed the problem, but I didn't realize it could be done. This situation today just sort of unfolded before my eyes, and one thing led to another. I felt that I had no choice but to do this today.

During the surgery at first he struggled. Then, as I cleaned him out, he lay still with his mouth open. He struggled again as I applied the silvadene. But when it was all over he was still very strong, and when I put him in his enclosure he walked away. What a trooper.

I am planning to wait until tomorrow morning before disturbing him again. Then, what should I do? Do I really have to go back in there and clean it again? I don't want to torture the poor guy to death. Literally.

And, then, what about feeding him? Do I need to create a way for the food to by-pass that area? The open wound in the roof of his mouth takes up the right side, and extends up into his sinus cavity. There are a few flaps of still-pink tissue overlapping the area. Is such an area usually sewn up after surgery?

I wish there were a way to manage his pain. I know I would not have just walked away from a procedure like that. Not without some morphine or something.

Also, I do want to add, that I don't recommend anyone ever try this at home. Honestly. The chances of this guy surviving til morning are probably very minimal indeed.

Thank you in advance for your help. Sandy

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your little guy. I hope he gets better. I dont know if this would ease his pain or not but I have heard of using velarian root tea to "calm them down" before being packaged up and mailed out. Dont know if this is truly safe or if it will help but I thought I would try. The company I got 2 of mine off of said they do this. They are into the holistic thing.

Wow, surgery on a pygmy... that must have been pretty intense, are you a qualified vet? Either way congrats on the work you've done, and i hope he will pull through.

Wow, surgery on a pygmy... that must have been pretty intense, are you a qualified vet? Either way congrats on the work you've done, and i hope he will pull through.

No, I'm a housewife with a strong stomach. :)

Thank you, sincerely, for the support. We hope he pulls through, too. He's still with us so far.

Sandy, I hope everything goes well. I wish I could offer you some advice! You are a brave woman!

Thank you for all you support, and for the PMs, and prayers. As of a moment ago I peeked in and he's still with us. But, I've GOT to stop looking in on him. No doubt it frightens him if he sees me.

Here is a photo of him from May. He got "fired up" at one of the Brevs (he lives separately from them). But it is unusual to see them fired up, he is such a little fighter.

DSCF1708b.jpg

AND HERE HE IS LOOKING VERY HANDSOME, MUGGING FOR THE CAMERA.

DSCF1122bx.jpg

AND ONE OF HIM TRYING TO MAKE IT WITH A BREV BEFORE I SEPARATED THEM ALL. Definitely a strong-willed little guy! :eek:

DSCF1217b.jpg

Last edited:
Howdy Sandy,

For bigger chameleons, I bought a couple of fairly large Tomcat Catheters. They are basically just soft tubes that fit on syringes. They make many sizes of them for lots of different applications. Here's an example of a small one that would work for your little guy. You're likley to find them at a local retail medical supply store, maybe pharmacy or online if necessary. Someone is probably selling them one at a time too. http://www.zdlinc.biz/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=65

Still alive and "kicking"

Thank you everyone for your support and advice.

Dave, I am going to look into those tubes you suggested. If I don't use them for this guy, they will be nice to have in our arsenal in case we need them in the future.

He's still up and walking around today. He survived his morning water/meds/mashed cricket procedure. Here are some photos. I apologize for the quality of the photos, but I'm trying to disturb him as little as possible. The one photo is taken through the glass side of his tank, and I can see that he drew in his belly just seeing me do that much.

I saw that he drank when I misted him this morning. He's moving his mouth well, which is why I gave him mashed baby crickets instead of making a liquid or paste from the carnivore care that I have. I thought he'd have more control getting the crickets down, than mashing around on the carnivore care and getting it up into the wound. When I returned him to his tank he did appear to chew around on the crickets and swallow them.

I'm going to get him some fresh pedialyte, too. And give him drops of pedialyte/water 50/50 later today.

Kristina PMd me about a topical pain reliever. I'm going to call our vet about that because I feel I may need it when I go back into his mouth tomorrow to check for further infection.

His tank is right next to my computer- so I have shrouded it so that he cannot see me.

DSCF2222b.jpg

THIS PHOTO BELOW (taken through glass) SHOWS THE AFFECTED SIDE OF HIS FACE. YOU CAN SEE THE SAGGY SKIN UNDER THE EYE. THE SWELLING IS WAY DOWN, NEARLY GONE, SO THE SKIN IS SAGGING A BIT ACROSS THAT SIDE OF HIS FACE. A FEW MINUTES AFTER I PUT HIM BACK INTO HIS TANK I DID OBSERVE HIM OPEN THAT RIGHT EYE.

DSCF2223b.jpg

just a tidbit of advice.

IMO liquids vs mashed crickets would be easier to consume for the little guy.
I have to help 4 sick pigs lately. I noticed when they are sick and you are force feeding that often times the food gets stuck to the tounge and they have to use extra energy to move it along. u can imagine all the reasons besides stress why this is not good.

just a tidbit of advice.

IMO liquids vs mashed crickets would be easier to consume for the little guy.
I have to help 4 sick pigs lately. I noticed when they are sick and you are force feeding that often times the food gets stuck to the tounge and they have to use extra energy to move it along. u can imagine all the reasons besides stress why this is not good.

Thank you for the advice. I may try that at the next feeding. I wish I had that Tomcat catheter Dave Weldon recommends so I could bypass the open palate and get a few drops further back in the mouth.

Hi Sandy,

WOW! I can't believe you did that. Good for you. I am soooo happy he is doing well today. Did you call your vets today about the pain med? Will your vet give it to you without seeing him? If not let me know, pm me. I can only hope that if my cham was in such need that i would have the b....ls to do that. Keep us informed.

Debby

Are you giving him any antibiotics for the infection?
If a culture had been done of the "pus" you removed from his mouth it could have shown what antibiotic to use.

Are you giving him any antibiotics for the infection?
If a culture had been done of the "pus" you removed from his mouth it could have shown what antibiotic to use.

Amazingly he is still with us. Our vet won't give med w/o seeing the cham. My husband won't pay for any lab work for the little guy.

I had some leftover baytril, and, though I know this is not recommended (to self prescribe) I diluted it and am giving him a daily dose of baytril. He is also getting herbal natural antibiotic, carnivore care, and water. He moves around during the day, to various areas of his tank. He rests with his head well lower than his body, almost vertical.

Chamlover, I PMd you.

I won't go back in to clean out the wound without anesthetic. The only access is through the roof of his mouth.

The right side of his face is still swollen. He always looks very miserable. His eyes are closed. He opens the left eye occasionally but closes it right away. I imagine he is in a lot of pain.

I am considering euthanasia. But, if there is hope that he can recover on just the meds and feedings, then I will keep going. Don't want him to suffer needlessly. But hate to put down such a fighter, especially since he is still so strong and ambulatory.

Back
Top Bottom