How to get crickets to top of the cage

Each day I put about 15 crickets in the cage for my 4 month old ambilobe panther. He gets the ones that walk around the leaves etc. but alot of them are on the ground and just run around down there. Dohini watches them but wont go out on to the floor. Is their a strategy to get the crickets in the plants or on top of the screen. I was thinking putting some flukers on top of the mesh screen?

I was doing that but I have to cut off the legs of crickets so they dont jump out of the cup and its hard to do 15 a day

thats legit and will be my eventual setup but she is too small and her tongue cant reach down if its anything over an inch ina half

djfishygillz

Established Member
my panther would eat the ones at the top if he is still hungry... your guy doesnt chase them down? and isnt 15 crickets a day kind of a lot? and like you i agree it does suck pinching off the legs on the crickets

trialsallday

heres what i do everyday.....

i dust my crickets in a cup, then i walk over to the cage with the cup , open the door and hold the cup tilted up against the screen as if i were gonna pour the crickets on to the screen. then they usually find there way to the screen and realize they can walk up it and they all line up and go up. works every time. then Gideon has a field day with them up top. Leave alittle gap at the top of the cup so the crickets can continue walking up the screen. works for me everytime . let me know how ya do.

DeviousMike

thats legit and will be my eventual setup but she is too small and her tongue cant reach down if its anything over an inch ina half
Really? Is she only like 2 inches long? You'd be surprised how far they can really get with their tongue. Btw, try this milk jug screen thing that I used to use. I since stopped because they seem to be fine with free ranged food now.

Yeah hes a tiny guy and yeah they say 15 crickets as a baby is normal.....that milk jug idea is genius and im for sure gonna do that

matthewpstyles

Try something like this. I don't cut the legs. Sometimes the crickets jump out of the tub but I just let them so my cham can go to hunt them.
this is similar to my set up. also i have a drip system installed at the bottom of the enclosure. it seems to help get the cham to the bottom of the thing and this seems to help with it grabbing the hopps from the floor.

matthewpstyles

Try something like this. I don't cut the legs. Sometimes the crickets jump out of the tub but I just let them so my cham can go to hunt them.
this is similar to my set up. i think the chameleon enjoys hunting also, they readily go for the bugs that have 'escaped' the feeding tub over those in the tub. i have found also that if you place small leaves etc into the feeding tub, the bugs should remain in it for a period of time.

also i have a drip system installed near the bottom of the enclosure. it seems to help get the cham to the bottom of the thing and this seems to help with it grabbing the hopps from the floor.

i think that with the feeding, be careful not to overfeed, as this can lead to bowel problems in later life. hope this comment is useful to some people :)

Top Bottom