HOW TO: Candling Your Eggs - How to tell if your eggs are good or bad

Dez

Chamalot Chameleons
The following are instructions on how to candle your chameleon eggs, to check for signs of development, and what to expect closer to hatch date.

"Candling" is the technique of shining a light in the egg and looking for shadows or veins. It is often done with fertile chicken eggs as well for people hatching their own chicks.

Candling is not necessary, but it is a good way to tell the status of your incubating eggs if you are curious

*We mainly use Hatchrite (the white stuff the eggs are sitting in) for our egg medium, but I have used vermiculite as well..

Typically, chameleon eggs (veiled and panther) take between 6 to 10 months to hatch. Typical hatch time in the "closet" method is 6-7.5 months.

So lets say you have a batch of veiled eggs that have been incubating at 75-78 degrees for 6.5 months. You have noticed they have grown slightly in size but still nothing is going on...are they ready to hatch? Come on already, right?

P1080789.jpg

Well, lets take a look...

To candle the eggs, you will need a small pen light.

P1080797.jpg

a BRIGHT LED will work great, (but make sure it is small)

P1080798.jpg

If the light is too large, then the light will bleed around the egg making it hard to see.

Step 2

Take your egg container in a darkened room so its easier to see. DO NOT remove your eggs from the container. Remember be careful not to bump or roll the eggs during this process.

Place the light on the eggs so that the light shines through the eggs like this...

WGI_0027.jpg

SO What am I looking for????

An egg close to hatching will look solid on the bottom of the egg while the top will look hollow (the top hollow part is the air pocket and is why it is important not to roll the egg at this stage)

P1080806.jpg

P1080809.jpg

P1080807.jpg

As you can see, light is not passing through the bottom part of the egg, because that is where the fully formed baby is. These eggs will be hatching ANY DAY and you better get ready :)

Eggs that have a denser bottom that are not yet solid, still have a month or so left to go before they hatch. Notice in the following photos that these eggs, although having a very noticeable denser bottom, are not as solid looking as the previous eggs. These eggs have been incubating 5.5 months and have a little while to go yet

_1080843.jpg

_1080840.jpg

This egg has been in incubation for 4 months. You can not yet see a solid bottom forming, but the pinking coloring and the veins let you know it is developing.
KGrHqFHJBsE-yefv7lBPyV3uN3w60_59.jpg

How do you know if you have a bad egg?

If you candle a freshly laid egg, you will not be able to see anything. The light will be yellowish, but there will be no shadows or veins yet.

Typically non-fertile or "bad eggs", will mold over and shrivel within the first week or two of being laid.

1-1.jpg

Fertile eggs are resistant to molding, and will look white and healthy. It is not unusual to only have few fertile eggs out of a larger batch.

Another sign you may have bad eggs, is strange coloring like these
P1080818.jpg

I am not sure what exactly caused the pink spots but I assume mold from the eggs being bad.

Sometimes eggs stay looking good, but in reality they are infertile. For some reason they didn't mold.

If you candle an egg that has been in incubation for 6+ months and it looks yellow with no shadows... chances are it is a bad egg and nothing is developing inside of it.

This egg has been incubation for 6 months but still no signs of development - notice how yellow it looks

yikes-1.jpg

_1080828.jpg

Still, do not throw out "bad eggs" unless they mold. There is a chance they COULD hatch eventually... you never know!

Last edited:
Other signs your eggs may be hatching soon:

Sometimes the egg will 'window' Windowing in an egg refers to a part of the shell looking thin or transparent. This doesn't always happen and sometimes an egg doing bad may appear to be windowing (I don't have a photo of windowing, sorry)

When eggs are days away from hatching they will start to 'sweat' like a cold soda can on a hot day

drivers.jpg

_1080796.jpg

_1080793.jpg

Usually a few days after you see sweating the egg will pip (split) at one end

firstegg-1.jpg

Don't be surprised or concerned if you baby lays in the egg with its eyes closed for a day. He may even poke his head out and pull it back in. He will come out when he is ready.

100_2078.jpg

Also, some new hatchlings, especially panthers may take a day before they start to move around. This is normal.

New babies will have an egg sack still attached when they come out of the egg. This is normal and will fall off on its own. You do not need to remove it.
See the egg sac on this veiled baby:

secondgrandson3.jpg

I usually wait until the baby is moving around in the bin before removing him to the hatchling container.

Secondhatchedbaby-1.jpg

So that's it!

Last edited:
Dez thank you I have a lot of eggs going and this really helps me im going to look at some of my eggs later today.

Oh WOW!!!! Loved it! Thanks with 19 fresh layed Ambilobe eggs this was an excellent guide with pictures to show someone how to candle an egg without moving it.
kudos!:D

Excellent thread! Thank you for sharing you insight in hatching eggs and those great informative pictures! Ruth

Thanks for sharing.

Do you mind to share how to setup or what item required for the hatchling container for these baby?

After baby hatches

How long should I leave a new born to rest in the hatchrite after it has fully emerged.. I have a veiled that seems very week, thought he may need to stay on the ground for now instead of putting him on the "jungle gym" of sticks.. If I water him, with drops on his head will 2 days be too long?

Amazing!

I have read this thread before but was having a hard time finding it again! Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us again!! :)

How long should I leave a new born to rest in the hatchrite after it has fully emerged.. I have a veiled that seems very week, thought he may need to stay on the ground for now instead of putting him on the "jungle gym" of sticks.. If I water him, with drops on his head will 2 days be too long?

in my experience , Baby veileds are usually on the move after hatching where panthers will lay around a bit before moving.

You can try leaving him for a day and see if he starts moving on his own. If he seems weak still try placing him in a smaller container by himself with a few fake leaves. Mist the leaves using a spray bottle so the water droplets are not too big

Hopefully he will start moving on his own. Babies can go 2 to 3 days before they need to eat

I have read this thread before but was having a hard time finding it again! Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us again!! :)

Your welcome. Its on my blog as well

beautiful post... is it still normal if my eggs will hatch 5 months old? they were tinier than normal eggs but they seem to have developed very fast 2 of my eggs have started sweating today they are still 5 months into incubation furcifur pardialis eggs

beautiful post... is it still normal if my eggs will hatch 5 months old? they were tinier than normal eggs but they seem to have developed very fast 2 of my eggs have started sweating today they are still 5 months into incubation furcifur pardialis eggs

They CAN hatch at 5 months.. If the eggs are small the babies will be small also and may not be ready to rehome until they are 4 months old while bigger babies may be ready at 3 months.

Good luck with your hatch!!

thanks a bunch dez im still scared they are not that developed it's pretty hard to candle then because they are halfway deep into the vermiculite but based on your pics here i dont think the embryos are big enough yet... i prefer them hatching later than earlier only 2 of the eggs were sweating yesterday i took another look today the sweat was gone probably dried up already

This thread should be stickied! Why isn't it :(

I had a lot of questions about my 4 month old eggs, laid June 6th that are now answered. I tried the candle method and see veins, some eggs I see a dense bottom and 2/20 are yellow, the rest are pink. I'm hoping the several times I moved the eggs out of their container into a new one (and rinsed them off as well when they were 1-2 months old) doesn't affect the outcome of them hatching. They've been in a container without an incubator. I checked the temp gauge recently and saw it was around 68f ! I hope that isn't too cold. I moved them to a warmer room just incase.

This is a great and extremely helpful thread. I figured I'd reply just to bring it back to the top again for others to read.

Hi! All this post look amazing! But the pictures not available (I know this is a old post) is this possible too get the pictures? :) thank you

Other signs your eggs may be hatching soon:

Sometimes the egg will 'window' Windowing in an egg refers to a part of the shell looking thin or transparent. This doesn't always happen and sometimes an egg doing bad may appear to be windowing (I don't have a photo of windowing, sorry)

When eggs are days away from hatching they will start to 'sweat' like a cold soda can on a hot day

drivers.jpg

_1080796.jpg

_1080793.jpg

Usually a few days after you see sweating the egg will pip (split) at one end

firstegg-1.jpg

Don't be surprised or concerned if you baby lays in the egg with its eyes closed for a day. He may even poke his head out and pull it back in. He will come out when he is ready.

100_2078.jpg

Also, some new hatchlings, especially panthers may take a day before they start to move around. This is normal.

New babies will have an egg sack still attached when they come out of the egg. This is normal and will fall off on its own. You do not need to remove it.
See the egg sac on this veiled baby:

secondgrandson3.jpg

I usually wait until the baby is moving around in the bin before removing him to the hatchling container.

Secondhatchedbaby-1.jpg

So that's it!
Hi

Back
Top Bottom