how often to feed horn worms

srpurvis

i am having allot of fun with my new hobby i have been feeding a wide variety of food meal worms, super worms, crickets, stick bugs, roches, buttler worms, wax worms and even mustard greens and yes i do dust with calsium
my normal feeding schedule is 4 crickets (dusted) in the morning and 5 crickets at night with a treat in the middle being one or two wax or a super worm usually wait until they shed their skin and are soft the stick bugs i just tried i think he ate all 6 but they hide well now i want to do 4 am crickets and five night crickets and one horn worm how much is to much when adding a horn worm they are big how should i feed them one a day do i cut back on crickets or one every other day and keep feeding crickets like normal

How old is your chameleon? That would determine the amount of feeders he should eat daily. That sounds like allot of food. Mealworms are not good feeders because they are hard for your cham to digest. Also feeders should be no larger than the space between the eyes.

he is about 1.5 years old i leaned that about meal worms and quit feeding them and started only feeding the superworms when they are soft and white

feed him what a horn worm and how many crickets i have read that between 8 and ten crickets a day so add the horn worm and how many crickets or should i do a horn worn one day and 8 crickets the next

8-10 a day is good for a baby, but you should be feeding about 6-8 every other day since its an adult.

hmm the diet for one day should equal 8 crickets. This is just my opinion and what i do. Feed maybe 5 crickets and 1 hornworm. Dont give a hornworm every day as they are treats for your chameleons. If you get hornworms that are really big to feed off, just let them turn into moths and let them breed. You will have many baby hornworms on your hands.:)

i didnt realize horn worms should be a treat why not a part of daily feedings i am under the impression that they are the most healthy feeder for my cham

I would offer them once or twice a week. You wouldnt want to get your chameleon to lose interest in the hornworms

Last edited:
I used to feed hornworms a lot... One large HW a day is enough food for you cham since he is older than one year.

10 crickets a day for a cham over one year old is too much. Feed him the variety you are feeding him at the moment... just slow down on the quantity. Feeding a large HW or a couple of larger silk worms every other day is prolly just fine. It keeps them interested and keeps the weight down.

When chams are young it is fine to feed them all they will eat because they are growing.... as they get older its best to limit the amount of food.

Ya...its just like humans...when we are young we can eat a lot and everything because we are growing...but wen you become an adult, if you still do that you put on weight lol.

I used to feed hornworms a lot... One large HW a day is enough food for you cham since he is older than one year.

10 crickets a day for a cham over one year old is too much. Feed him the variety you are feeding him at the moment... just slow down on the quantity. Feeding a large HW or a couple of larger silk worms every other day is prolly just fine. It keeps them interested and keeps the weight down.

When chams are young it is fine to feed them all they will eat because they are growing.... as they get older its best to limit the amount of food.

I take it from this that you do not feed hornworms much anymore, is there a reason behind this?

Hornworms

Hornworms are an excellent staple. They are just expensive. You would be better served eliminating the butterworms, crickets and mealworms and replacing them with hornworms, roaches, silkworms, mantids, and snails as well as stick insects. A proper variety of well fed feeders makes for a complete and healthy diet.

Digby Rigby [email protected]

Email is faster than private message.

Back
Top Bottom