how many UVB lights for 24 24 48?

dodolah

Retired Moderator
how many you put for the cage that large?
Is one reptisun 5.0 tube (24") is enough?
or do i need 2? or 1 reptisun 10.0?
I saw couple of people here use 2 basking lamp for that size. Is it recommended?

This is for my 5 months old veiled who is ready to venture into his permanent home.

thanks guys

I use and recommend the repti-sun 10.0 bc the uv output penetrates 10 inches which can be helpful if a large terrarium like yours.

David

Meh, its all up to you...

I use 2 on all my cages a tube that is <6 months old and one that is >6 months old. I get a new set about every 6 months and then just rotate them... They spend most of the time in the reach of the UVB with a 5.0 anyhoo. I also just use 1 basking light. No real reason to have two... It will just use more power...

And for the basking I use two 75 watt bulbs, one is a normal house light (flood) and the other one is what I bought from the pet store (spotlight) it keeps the temps around the 90's. When the temp. drops just put the bulbs closer together, and when temps. are too high spread them further apart. Good luck

David

would 10.0 hurts his eyes, though?

10.0 will not hurt your chams eyes. The reason for some reptiles going blind is because alot of manufacturers out there are not thoroughly educated on correctly producing uvb bulbs. you can get a high uvb bulb and as long as it is from a reputable company, your cham will not go blind.

dodolah, I PM'd dave weldon the other day with this exact question. My cage is 28wide by 19 deep by 44 high with black window screen type mesh. He has done several measurements with his meters and told me that one 18 or 24 5.0 bulb was plenty. He also told me that different brands gave him completely different readings. The mesh that is used in the reptarium type enclosures would need a ten because they block so much. Hope that helps.

how many you put for the cage that large?
Is one reptisun 5.0 tube (24") is enough?
or do i need 2? or 1 reptisun 10.0?
I saw couple of people here use 2 basking lamp for that size. Is it recommended?

This is for my 5 months old veiled who is ready to venture into his permanent home.

thanks guys

I only use one reptisun 5.0 bulb for cages that size. It is important to make sure the bulb is fresh. I don't personally recommend 10.0 bulbs, but others seem to be using them.

I usually use only one basking light, but multiple lights could be used. What you are trying to do with a basking light is provide a warm enough spot for the chameleon to bask in, and also to create an overall temperature gradient.

Reptisun Lights.........

I use two Reptisun tube lights on all my adult cages. Either two 5.0 lights or two 10.0 lights. One towards the back and one towards the front. It depends on the size of the cage. I have a few monster adult males that are in large cages. They like to sit midway in the cage. I always have two 10.0 lights on their cages. They would never get enough UVB from the 5.0 lights in the position they prefer to hang out. My baby and juvie cages only have one 5.0 tube light on them. I've been doing this a couple of years. It works for me. Everyone has to evaluate their own situation though. Different cage type, different size, different Chameleon age, different cage furnishings, different Chameleon habits = different lighting and heating needs.

Back
Top Bottom