how long do female veiled live for??

lizzy

Just wondering how long female veiled chams usually live for? I have just had a conversation with someone who said they only last 3 years tops and will have 3 batches of eggs then die. They told me to get a male to mate with so not to waste the eggs. Is this true??? :confused:

Well the part that they live for 3 years is not true. The part where you get the mate can be but only when shes old enough to be breed. Otherwise you can get a male just don't put them together unless they are going to mate. Hope this helps, they can live for 7 years or more

Thanks for that i was getting worried!! My girl is not too good at the moment going to the vet 1st thing tue to help her get her eggs out so hopefully she will be fine, just didnt want to get through this for her to then only last another 2.5 years.

They (females) will live up to 10 years if taken care of properly.

I was always worried about my veiled when she was gravid, because she was SOOO fat and I thought she would never lay. What exactly are you worried about and why is she not in good shape? If it's just because she is super-fat with eggs and you 'think' she should be laying, then just let her do it on her own terms...sometimes they just take a while.

They (females) will live up to 10 years if taken care of properly.

I was always worried about my veiled when she was gravid, because she was SOOO fat and I thought she would never lay. What exactly are you worried about and why is she not in good shape? If it's just because she is super-fat with eggs and you 'think' she should be laying, then just let her do it on her own terms...sometimes they just take a while.

in the wild supposedly they can live for 15

Never heard of one making it to 15 in the wild...also rarely hear of one making it to 10 in captivity. Mine almost all live to be 6-7+.

They can definitely lay more than 3 clutches of eggs and continue to live longer than 3 having laid that many clutches...unless you overfeed them when they are producing the next lot of follicles so that they produce huge clutches.

Its also a myth that they have to be mated at sexual maturity or they will die eggbound, BTW.

And yes...getting a male to mate with her will prevent waste of the eggs.

If they lay clutches that shortens their life. If the clutches are large that is even worse on their bodies. If they are kept cooler and fed less often and do not lay clutches they can live longer. Lynda one member here has raised female veileds for over 20 years and had them live up to 6 years old and never lay a clutch. This link is to what she wrote under the Raising Kitty Blog on how to keep your female veiled. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

Thanks all, well i have posted my concern for my girl (help cham not ate for 8 days) and had a lot of good advice. I have now realised that i was poorly informed about her getting eggs etc so i didnt know what was going on and have left things a little to late an now she has no energy to lay her eggs so im hoping the vet can give her something to boost her a bit then maybe a shot to induce her. She is not stressed at all and still a lovely colour but just has no energy. I dug a tunnel for her myself and she goes in but then doesnt do anything and afer a few hrs comes out again. I have kept her in total privacy and just offerd water (which i end up forcing her to take). Im just hoping on tuesday this will all be sorted as she is a lovely lovely girl and really dont want to lose her :(

A friend of mine, Shwa, his female veiled lived to 13, that's the longest I have heard of.

I find it hard to believe that someone raised chams to be 6 years of age and they never laid a clutch???? Veileds lay regardless of mating or not, do you know if they manipulated the environment in some way as to prevent producing eggs? I would imagine they kept the females in 'drought' type conditions to pull that off.

Lizzy, my female wouldn't eat for up to two weeks sometimes when she was about to lay eggs. In all that time she ate a few leaves and maybe one or two roaches. It's disconcerting, but it's natural (I think).

What I would do is fill up a garbage can about 1/4 way with moist sand, and pack it down so it's firm. Add a branch and maybe a plant, and set up a basking light (clamp lamp) for heat. She should lay within a few days.

A friend of mine, Shwa, his female veiled lived to 13, that's the longest I have heard of.

I find it hard to believe that someone raised chams to be 6 years of age and they never laid a clutch???? Veileds lay regardless of mating or not, do you know if they manipulated the environment in some way as to prevent producing eggs? I would imagine they kept the females in 'drought' type conditions to pull that off.

Lizzy, my female wouldn't eat for up to two weeks sometimes when she was about to lay eggs. In all that time she ate a few leaves and maybe one or two roaches. It's disconcerting, but it's natural (I think).

What I would do is fill up a garbage can about 1/4 way with moist sand, and pack it down so it's firm. Add a branch and maybe a plant, and set up a basking light (clamp lamp) for heat. She should lay within a few days.

Have you ever read the Raising Kitty Blog? The section on the female veiled tells you exactly how to do it. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleo...le-veiled.html

JannB...said "Your method has been working for my little girl Camille so far. Thank you!"...glad it has worked.

Brock said..."I find it hard to believe that someone raised chams to be 6 years of age and they never laid a clutch???? Veileds lay regardless of mating or not, do you know if they manipulated the environment in some way as to prevent producing eggs? I would imagine they kept the females in 'drought' type conditions to pull that off"...believe it or not.

I have had quite a few over the last 6 or 8 years that have lived that long and never produced an egg. I credit it to the way I keep them as I described in the link JannB posted.

Back
Top Bottom