HOw do you know if your cham is dying?

blackbetty

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage construction (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and type of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Female Veiled, approx 1 year. Purch off Craigslist a month or so ago.
*habitat- Reptarium, currently on its side longways since she cannot climb tall without falling. Pothos plant and a large stump to help her get to heat source. No bedding, paper towel. reptisun 5.0 puchased last night. 2 heat lamps in a bi light hood. 1 65w 1 75w. purchased 2 months ago.
* Handling -Recently, often due to her health issues
* Feeding - I feed her dusted superworms and crickets that are gutloaded. About 3-4 at a time and how often depends on how well she is eating.
* Supplements - Reptivite with d3. Just started doing this..
* Watering - Misting with warm water, 3-4 times/3min each
* Fecal Description - White with a black blob. No never been tested.
* History - No clue. She was living in a closet w/ a GE flourescent light as source and a red lamp.
* Current Problem - MBD. Doing all I can. Thought she was getting better but tonite I found her under a decor stone cold and unresponsive again. I put her under heat and she moved a bit. This took place last week without the use of her legs. She uses them better now but is shaky. Tail is hard and black. I thought she was going to die last week but she held on. I saw her eat on her own today for the first time in a week. Havent seen her drink anything (she used to drink from the little dripper directly). dark coloration. CLoses eyes often. I know she is sick. Ive consulted every Vet and expert I can find. No exotic vet in the area. I justw ant to know if there are sure signs that she isnt going to make it. I posted a pic of her and her tail in "sleeping during the day" forum.

(I hope I did that right?)

No. All Im doing is dusting everything she eats, got the UVB and heat lights on at all times, misting often. This is what I was told to do by a local vet (not an exotic) as well as a "reptile rescue" group. I was told to possibly have her tail amputated. I have lowered her vines as I said and she doesnt fall so much as hang there now so I help her back up.. She got down today an dwent under the stump completely away from any light source. I left her alone for a few hours and then as described above is what happened about 30 min ago. I do not know anything about her history like I said. I purchased her on CL last month. Drove 3 hours, paid $100, and now this..

Can I get liquid calcium? The vet said something about oral supplement by prescription but didnt do anymore than TELL me..didnt offer even though i told her I was interested in having that done..

See, Dr Smith in Clarksville is the one that I talked to who told me to just keep doing what Im doing now and she has knowledge with beardeds and iguanas but not chams... I fear the worse..

Try a different vet, make sure to ask if they know chameleons when you make the appointment.

The closest seems to be Nashville but I dont have a way to get there as my husband takes the car during the day and by time he gets home, the vets are closed.:( There is nothing OTC i can do?? Ugh, I dislike strongly (momma said not to use the H word) people who arent responsible and take care of their pets correctly.. now I get to watch the poor girl suffer!!!!!!!!!!

I was told to leave them on 24/7 for about a month from now when she should be better by Dr Smith. See, now Im all worried that Im doing what im told by a professional yet its possibly making it worse?

In my opinion leaving lights on 24 7 would be hell they would not have the shut down time they need to be healthy and happy . the vet should have given calcium injections and d3 consult another vet

Ill call Dr Smith again in the morning and see if she can do that. I assume if she is able to care for beardeds and iguanas that maybe she can do the same for my girl. Like I said, she told OF an option of an oral and I said, Yea, Id like that, but then she veared off and hung up so I was left without anything more than what I started with. Not saying she isnt reputable, she openly admitted to having next to no knowledge.. Im just doing as I was advised. Betty still closes her eyes and sleeps. It hink she has adjusted. I turned off the heat source last night but left the UVB on as I was told this is more important right now than anything else.

All the lights need to be off.
This girl sounds like she is suffering.
This may be a little hard for you,especially if you are a first time chameleon owner,but I would gently wrap her in a towel and put her in the freezer.
It will be very quick and humane. Hopefully this won't keep you from trying again with a reputable breeder on the forums. I would stay away from Craigs List. Good luck with everything.

Wow just reading that made me start to tear up. Ive so bonded with her this last week.. I want to do whats best but I dont want to give up if more can be done. Ive asked a local reptile expert if they can take her. They have better access to vets and things that I dont. Im awaiting her answer. If I dont hear back by tomorrow afternoon and she doesnt seem better, I will consider that. Wow...:(

She was hanging on so I picked her up an dput her in my jacket like I do everynight and usually she lays there staring at me while I rub her veil.. Well tonite.. She spazzed out and latched onto my chest with her mouth breaking the skin... I removed her gently and placed her ont he bed where I watched her drag her hind legs.. I started crying.. is it too late or if the vet can get a calcium shot in her tomorrow, will she have good chances? I dont/cant put her int he freezer.. I feel like she is a fighter and isnt ready to give up yet..or maybe thats just me.. I dont know what to do!!

i totally take back what i said. if you are gonna euthanize her, just do it humanely.

Last edited:
If you get her to a good chameleom vet in the morning and get the calcium injection, MBD can be treated or if it's too far gone the vet will let you know what to do.
How long have you had Betty? I looked at your pictures of her in the galllery and to me, for her to have MBD her legs didn't look that bad....unless those are old pics?

Last edited:
It is NOT HUMANE to put her in the freezer. Its a painful slow death for a chameleon...and not acceptable according to the American Veterinary Medical Association. (BTW, decapitation is not acceptable for chameleons either.)

If your chameleon has MBD it needs more calcium than you are giving it. You can buy a liquid calcium (calcium sandoz or calcium gluconate) at a pharmacy. Its supposed to be more readily absorbed than the powders. Its syrupy and must be given carefully in small amounts to the chameleon so that it can swallow it properly and not get it into its lungs. Your chameleon is in trouble and needs help right away. Please take it to a good reptile vet QUICKLY.

Also, the reptivite has preformed vitamin A and IMHO you would be better to be using Rep-Cal phos.-free calcium/D3 right now.

Make sure that she is within 12 or so inches of the UVB to ensure that she gets the most benefit from it right now.

Back
Top Bottom