How do you get rid of millipedes

I have found them in my enclosures before. They will multiply in a vivarium and take over, but just a potted plant I'm not sure. The way that people get rid of them in vivariums, without being harmful to the live plants, is by using dry ice (after the animals are removed of course) which removes the oxygen. The insects suffocate and the plants are left unharmed. The bad part is that it eliminates all insects including benificial ones. The only way that it would work for a screen enclosure would be to cover it in plastic. Here is the same thread from a dartfrog forum: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/48700-millipedes.html

SYN-They are very very annoying and i cant stand them climbing on the screen in the morning,

Jerm-Thank you so much!

So, because they annoy you you are willing to just overlook their benefits so you dont have to see them crawling around? I introduce millipedes to all of my enclosures because I love the cleaning job they do on my enclosures.

Dry ice and water in a cup. They will suffocate and your plants will grow, I have millipedes slugs,snails and other bugs in my tanks. They dont bother my chams. And they eat waste. They are beneficial but if you want them gone then thats the easiest way to do it.

If i could get a few off you i would (but I'm in the UK). I imagine a lot does get rather annoying! If the dry ice doesnt work (which does sound pretty good I must admit) The old fashioned, rinse of all the soil with a hose, and submerge the roots for around 15 mins. Will do the plant no harm for such a short time but will cause any millipeeds/eggs to drown.

If i could get a few off you i would (but I'm in the UK). I imagine a lot does get rather annoying! If the dry ice doesnt work (which does sound pretty good I must admit) The old fashioned, rinse of all the soil with a hose, and submerge the roots for around 15 mins. Will do the plant no harm for such a short time but will cause any millipeeds/eggs to drown.

what use are they? chams able to eat?

are you sure its the millipedes that smell? or could it be something else, because i dont notice any smell from them at all.

ahh who cares i guess i will deal with them.

I just hecked out the plants and all and literally couldnt find any so maybe they were at the bottom of the soil. i just had to clean the rocks out.

yea they live in the soil and sometimes come out at night, but most stay there. When i first saw them i freaked and the plant nursery guy gave me some chemical to kill them ill find it in a minute and tell you. But now i dont really care any more so i never used it.

I hate them. I dont care what benefit they offer....I had hundreds, yes hundreds of them crawling all over my place outside of the cages. They are terrible. Kill em off before the multiply and take over.....yuck!

I guess it really depends on the ambient environment you live in as to if they become a pest. They are good house keepers but they can infest given the right conditions. I live in N Utah and have found them thriving in my high temp/humidity invirons. If required, "culling" the crew to keep things in balance helps, but you have to stay on top of it.

I am currently trying springtails.

I have a few of these in an exo-Terra, are they harmful if consumed by a Cham? There also have fungus gnats in there, way to get rid of them is repoting?

LPR08

Back
Top Bottom