House light bulb Vs. Basking bulb

wendymileon

N the past I have always used a reptile basking spot bulb 75w for my chameleon but my bulb just burned out and I dont have a back up so i was wondering if a regular 100w house light bulb would produce enough heat and also be safe 2 use?

Yea, I wasnt even aware they had reptile basking bulbs. I know of the reptile sun 2 in 1 bulb but I I have ever used for basking is Condesent bulbs from walmart.

On a side note, unfortunately, congress has passed a law afew years back to stop the production and sale of condesent bulbs. By the first of the year ( right now!!) the 100wtt will be no longer sold, then the next target will be 90s and 75s until you cant even buy 30s

i use a 65w house bulb and it works fine and so much cheaper.
the pet store here wants like 30-60$ for the basking lights and a house light is like 1$

N the past I have always used a reptile basking spot bulb 75w for my chameleon but my bulb just burned out and I dont have a back up so i was wondering if a regular 100w house light bulb would produce enough heat and also be safe 2 use?

yep they are the exact same thing ....you should never waste your money on "reptile" bulbs :)

chamguy: those old bulbs will still be available, just not for "house lighting" purposes so we will have to find other suppliers/purposes (otherwise the "reptile" variations would also have to be pulled from the market; which they obviously are not)

While house light bulbs can be used for heating reptiles, they are designed for producing light, not heat, so you may require a higher wattage bulb to heat your enclosure/basking spot to the same temperatures.

There are many affordable options for light bulbs that have specific designs for reptiles - basking bulbs, spot lights, 'day' lights, for the need, there is a bulb. The design of the bulb affects the way the hot spot is distributed; a basking bulb will create a warmer basking area than a generic house light any day. And with a lower wattage, too, saving you electricity.

While house light bulbs can be used for heating reptiles, they are designed for producing light, not heat, so you may require a higher wattage bulb to heat your enclosure/basking spot to the same temperatures.

There are many affordable options for light bulbs that have specific designs for reptiles - basking bulbs, spot lights, 'day' lights, for the need, there is a bulb. The design of the bulb affects the way the hot spot is distributed; a basking bulb will create a warmer basking area than a generic house light any day. And with a lower wattage, too, saving you electricity.

What are your thoughts on halogen sun light basking bulbs?

Based on what are you making this claim?

From my (admittedly mild) study of these lights, they are identical incandescent bulbs; the only difference is the coating on the lens?

I'd be very interested to see the science/technical info behind how these reptile bulbs are designed to put out more heat. Not saying you are wrong, but I personally have not seen anything to establish such a claim (besides claims from people who SELL such items) in the many years I have been in the reptile hobby.

EDIT: (In reference to red text above) The "basking spot" is generated by the focusing of the heat/light by the DOME around the bulb, not by the bulb itself. I'm curious as to what exactly you mean by this.

What are your thoughts on halogen sun light basking bulbs?

Halogen lights are an even more energy efficient way to heat your reptiles - many monitor keepers will use banks of low wattage halogen bulbs to create a suitable basking spot, rather than one extremely high wattage incandescent bulb. Halogens also produce a whiter light that can be better for displaying your animals under, especially if you wish to show off some colors.

The only catch with halogens is they are a more delicate bulb, they don't do well if you move them too much. However, once they're in place, if you don't move them they can last for a year or more.

Based on what are you making this claim?

From my (admittedly mild) study of these lights, they are identical incandescent bulbs; the only difference is the coating on the lens?

I'd be very interested to see the science/technical info behind how these reptile bulbs are designed to put out more heat. Not saying you are wrong, but I personally have not seen anything to establish such a claim (besides claims from people who SELL such items) in the many years I have been in the reptile hobby.

EDIT: (In reference to red text above) The "basking spot" is generated by the focusing of the heat/light by the DOME around the bulb, not by the bulb itself. I'm curious as to what exactly you mean by this.

There are different types of lightbulb design; while with a regular incandescent bulb, yes the dome focuses the light, a basking light specifically is structured in such a way that the beam of light and heat is more focused. We are fortunate enough to use many of the products we sell in the stores themselves, so we have had the chance to see for ourselves how they work.
This light:
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...lbs-ceramic-bulbs/-/zoo-med-40-watt-day-bulb/
is a nicely tinted version of a household bulb, to be fair, for the specific purpose of heating and displaying reptiles. Its light, and heat, would be focused by the type of dome used. However, this light:
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...ceramic-bulbs/-/zoo-med-50-watt-basking-bulb/
(if you look at the box it shows you the shape of the bulb) is structured differently, and even a bare bulb in a socket will have a beam of heat and light that is directed outward. Halogen lights are structured in this way. These types of lights are where you can really get into the various types; Exoterra makes a total of 5 different types of "daylight" or white-light producing bulbs that all have a slightly different beam and function. Halogen lights are also designed with special reflectors etc in the back to focus the light in a specific direction.

:) I hope that helps you out. I do not have a specific scientific article that is not based on a specific manufacturer that I can link you to, just the experience of using hundreds of various bulbs throughout 4 stores.

-Jen

Yea, I wasnt even aware they had reptile basking bulbs. I know of the reptile sun 2 in 1 bulb but I I have ever used for basking is Condesent bulbs from walmart.

Are you referring to the incandescent bulbs? Or are these a type that I'm not aware of that produce more heat?

does a normal 40W house bulb also work for chameleons?

It depends on how big(tall) the enclosure is and how far you have the light from the area you want. The heat may not penetrate enough into the enclosure for a nice temperature gradient with that wattage. I would have a back up wattage that is greater just in case.

Halogen lights are an even more energy efficient way to heat your reptiles - many monitor keepers will use banks of low wattage halogen bulbs to create a suitable basking spot, rather than one extremely high wattage incandescent bulb. Halogens also produce a whiter light that can be better for displaying your animals under, especially if you wish to show off some colors.

The only catch with halogens is they are a more delicate bulb, they don't do well if you move them too much. However, once they're in place, if you don't move them they can last for a year or more.

I got the halogen idea from my monitor also :D

They can create a basking spot without over heating the enclosure and because they are of lower wattage do not suck all the humidity out :D I've also never had one blow out on me for my chams lol. By far the best option imo

bulb

On a side note, unfortunately, congress has passed a law afew years back to stop the production and sale of condesent bulbs. By the first of the year ( right now!!) the 100wtt will be no longer sold, then the next target will be 90s and 75s until you cant even buy 30s

What is a condesent bulb ?

One thing to remember when saying "regular" household bulb, there are different types. I use either a clear glass or white glass bulb. I don't use the "soft" white or "mood" lights (like reveal) that can be tinted for our home use. I prefer the brighter light of these in the enclosure, and I believe the spectrum of light is more natural. Just my thoughts. ;)

The poster meant INCANDESCENT bulb. You know, the classic regular use house light bulb now being replaced by CFs.

I had a feeling... but thought maybe a condesent bulb was some special kind for reptiles I didnt know about...and he's a senior member huh?

Back
Top Bottom