Hornworm cup mold

jcal

For some reason my hornworm cup started growing mold at the bottom where the mesh is stapled down. Are the worms still safe to feed?

reptimanny

I wouldnt believe so, for the most part my hornworms would die off due to the mold.(thats when i was a newb and i would grab them without gloves:D ) I would be better safe than sorry and just get some new worms

jasimmons86

I just orderd my first cup of horn worms, so i going to be a newb with the. What should i do to avoid mold and die off of horn worms, cause these guys arent cheap.

Texas Ranger

Avid Member
I dump the poop out of the cups at least twice a day. And if you keep them near heat they will grow faster and eat faster. But the food doesnt seem to mold if its in a warm area. But you will have to feed the worms off faster because they will grow alot faster this way. That is how I do it. But they finish the food before I finish them so I have to move them to a bigger container and start feeding them.

jcal

I just orderd my first cup of horn worms, so i going to be a newb with the. What should i do to avoid mold and die off of horn worms, cause these guys arent cheap.
i usually dont have a problem. its my first time with mold and im sure it had to do with something other than my care. they are still growing, but i think i am going to cut the good chow out and place them in a new container. my guess is that the mold got introduced with the staple they used.

Marc10edora

Avid Member
Mold grows under the following conditions: Darkness + Humidity + Heat = Mold. During the warmer months, I dump out the hornworm poop. It also allows some of the Co2 build up and humidity to air out.

I never feed my chams hornworms that have mold. On a side note: Hornworm poop makes great fertilizer for your plants.

Top Bottom